1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what is the shortest amount of time you owned a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hypercarrots, Apr 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. and why? what happened?

2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Killer B and Zane Guitars and Basses sales rep, artist rep and endorsed artist.
    I think it was maybe a week. I bought 2 Fender P basses from Guitar Center in November. Decided that they weren't for me and returned them for more Music Man basses.

Papalampraina likes this.
  3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    About 2 weeks.

I bought a bass to upgrade and the guy I bought it off wasn't exactly accurate about the weight. These days I can't carry a heavy bass for long so I had to sell it.

Shame, it was a very good Lakland 55-01.

4. Traded a very nice Washburn T24 for some Ibanez 5-string with some dude found on Craigslist. I quickly found that I wasn't into 5ers and Ibanez wasn't for me. So a couple of weeks later I sold it on CL for $275.

Those Washburns are cool looking....

5. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    About three months. Bought a beautiful MTD Kingston Heir 5 and really liked its look & tone. But coming from 34"-scale instruments, as much as I wanted to love it, I just couldn't adjust to the Heir's 35" scale, and ended up selling it.

6. mbell75

mbell75 Supporting Member

May 23, 2016
    Ive had several I only owned a few days before re-selling that I had bought sight unseen online. Didn't like the necks and the overall feel mostly.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 LET'S GO BLUE JAYS...(in 2016)...LET'S GO!!

Negative days. I sold a bass 2-3 days before it arrived at my house.

I bought a second 30th anniversary Stingray 4 and sold it before I recieved it as I found a Sadowsky for the same price.

Bass was unpacked to ensure there was no damage and back at the post office 30 minutes later to be shipped to the new owner.

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    arrived: 19:00
    checked it out, sounded anemic compared to the ones I'd checked out at GC
    it was the new Modern Player & I had been checking out the old version
    20:00 - figured out that the truss rod was next to impossible to adjust to get the relief right

08:30 - in the automobile & off to GC to return it

10:15 - returned

15 hours

9. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Years ago I bought a US made Fender P Bass, didn't see the hype and returned it next day.

gebass6 and Felken like this.
  10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Endorsing Artist: Eastwood Guitars, CHC Guitars, GHS strings
    Less than 5 minutes. Bought and flipped with a phone call.

I've also had some "pre-sold"....
    But I ever considered those mine, since I was just a middle man .

bassguyky48 likes this.
  11. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    You win.

ialma, Herrick, 8liter and 3 others like this.
  12. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    I had this one for about 4 days.

IMG_8686 2.

Loved it, but was convinced another TB'er I'd sold a bass to would be asking for a refund which I wouldn't have been able to cover. He didn't, and I've missed this guy since. Alas.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    24 hours. Bought a MIM P on the way to a gig, played the gig with it and traded it the next day for a Lakland 55-01.

el murdoque likes this.
  14. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Not counting a few I've picked up last year. I had a Japanese Jazz Special for about 15 years. Gave it to a friend of my son for a song. Last time I saw him, he was getting pretty good

tat2clod likes this.
  15. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    1.5 hours, arrived by post 9am gave it a clean, setup and new strings, posted it on an auction site and sold 10.30am. $150 profit :)

Rattman likes this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Several weeks. It was a Mike Lull 5 string 35" two octave PJ with a Sadowsky preamp in it. What's not to like, right?

No doubt the bass was well made. I just couldn't get along with it. I'm used to basses reacting to my playing. No matter how or where I plucked the strings the tone was the same. Different attack, sure. But no difference in tone. Also, it just felt "small".

Overall it was just too "polite" for me.

pjbassist likes this.
  17. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    I wanted a cheap P-bass, so I bought a Yamaha BB424. The next day, this incredibly cheap Fender MIA P shows up in classifieds, so I bought that too. When they arrived in the mail, I compared the tone and feel (didn't like the huge BB body) and put the Yamaha up for sale a few hours later. Sold it about a week later for the same amount I gave for it, so no harm done, and I got to try a new bass.

18. About 2 years. I got talked into buying a very cheap Japanese made fretless 4 string that had a modern style and a block pickup. The pickup was not quite see enough and the G and E strings were weak because of that. I even bought and upgrade pup of the same size, I thought a quality pup might fix it. It helped but the bass kinda sucked. So $150 for the bass and $50 for the replacement pup.

I never played it, and a friend of mine who happened to be a crackhead asked to borrow it. I said yes and never saw that bass again.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  19. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    it was less than an hour....made a profit

20. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Jan 11, 2011
    Canada
    3 hrs, bought a lake placid blue jazz jazz with high action, brought it home found the rod was stripped so brought it back