1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the Shortest Strap available?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wednesdayagain, Mar 28, 2013.

1. wednesdayagain

wednesdayagain

Sep 28, 2012
    MA
    My current strap is around 33-34 inches at the shortest, and I'd like something that goes even shorter than that, perhaps 30", but so far, the shortest I've found are the Comfort Strapps, which only go down to 33".
    Does anyone know if such short straps are sold anywhere? I've also read about people sending their straps to a shoe shop or something to get it shortened. If I go that route, which straps are recommended?

Thanks.

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Get a leather belt blank from the local leather supply shop or somewhere online and make your own! You could use a belt too if you'd rather go that route. Just cut the belt close -ish to the buckle and punch holes in the ends for the strap buttons and adjust to the length you want using the buckle. Then punch a couple holes for the buckle to lock to when you find a length range that you like.

Or you can have someone do it for you. I've made a few for friends and a couple for myself.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Most polypropylene straps can adjust to half the longest length.

I'll double check later today but pretty sure that is the case.

That would mean as short at 27" for levys

4. wednesdayagain

wednesdayagain

Sep 28, 2012
    MA
    This suggestion is great! Much cheaper this way too. I'll definitely get to doing it some time. At the moment I've found an immediate solution in simply tying a knot in the strap.

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I still like the old fasioned strap with the adjustment buckle. Why did they go away from that anyway. It's a real pain to have to keep rethreading the strap to find a length that works for me. I have an old ugly as hell wide strap with the buckle on it and I love it. My wife keeps telling me to throw it away but I refuse to. This is especially true for open mics when I get called up to play and brought a bass I haven't played in awhile.

6. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    a maxi pad