1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the smallest most kick a** amp out there??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by little1, Apr 30, 2010.

1. little1

little1

Apr 30, 2010
    portland oregon
    I am 5'1". I would love to be able to pick up my own amp, throw it in my car, unload and set up with ease without breaking my back. I'm been shopping for two years for the ultimate portable set up. I've already bought the Mark amp hoping that was the answer. It wasn't. I was playing in a Zeppelin tribute band and it didn't cut it volume-wise.

I checked out the micro SVT. I would love this to work for me. It did sound good in the store with an ampeg extension cab. My concern that the dinky 200 watt head will peter out in a few months being playing almost at full volume constantly.

I would love to get some feedback from others out there who have a light set up that cranks. I have a 2 x 10 Ampeg cab (and an ancient SVT, can't gig with that. Too heavy to move). Perhaps another light cab to go with that and a light head.

Anyone out there have the Genz Benz 3lb. 500 watt head? I just can't believe that is possible and I can't find a dealer around here that has it in stock (Hollywood). Does anyone own it, like it...?

Thanks!

2. You might want to try out a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal, it's an Ampeg emulation/overdrive pedal and I've found that it can greatly increase the perceived volume of an amplifier. I'm just running a Markbass LMII through a 1x15, and when I use the pedal I've noticed I can turn the gain on the amp a lot higher, and get a lot louder, before the clip light flickers. I think it may attenuate some of the ultra lows that use up a lot of power, but not in a way that is noticable, it actually sounds a lot deeper and louder. It's weird!

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Easy: Genz Benz. Crazy light, very nice sounding. $$$, but that's the way it goes.

4. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout. Not light, but small, great tone and LOUD.

5. Look at the Acoustic Gen-II B-600H and add the B-210 Neo and you've got a pretty light weight and expandable outfit.

That B-600H is a powerhouse and can run down to 2 Ohms if you ever find a roadie/loadie to eventually haul a Acoustic B-810 cab for you. (The B-810 with that B-600H is large enough to smoke anyone in your venue too - I know as I have pretty much that same setup.)

6. I'm going Walkabout Scout, too... My 12" combo flat out kicks a@@. As far as actual space, lol, that little Promethean is pretty cool too.

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I've played most of them, and most recently the Walkabout.

The Walkabout slays them all.

8. don't know if its loud enough, but I own a Marshall MB30 and it did the job for 4 years of my live and practice career. It was perfect for indoor cafeteria size-outdoor lawnsize gigs. I recently upgraded to what I have in my signature, but I still bring my Marshall to practice. Also, I am 5'3 and asian (basically I have no upperbody strength) and I could carry the amp and my hardcase in the same trip from the car.

9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    If what's loud enough? The Walkabout?

It's almost as loud as my 500 watt LMII at 4 ohms, and deafening at 2 ohms.

I wouldn't exactly say it's a back-breaker either, it's only 13 lbs.

10. GK MB210 or MB212. I dig em... especially with the MB210's ability to add an extension cab.

11. mizzou541

mizzou541

Jan 8, 2010
    MO
    Carvin has some good quality lightweight amps as well.

12. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    I use a Bergantino IP112 w/EX112 ext cab - never wanted for lack of volume or power, thing's practically indestructable. The IP is about 42 lbs, the EX is about 38.

BTW, I play in a Led Zep tribute too.... ;)

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    A big +1 for Genz Benz. Super lightweight (my NeoPak is "big" at under 10 lbs, with 500 watts into 2 ohms, my Shuttle 6.0 is unbelievable at under 4 lbs and 600 watts into 4 ohms.

14. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    My current setup is a Gallien Krueger (GK) MB2-500 into a GK Neo 212-II. Very light, very loud. Add a VT bass, and you've got a great vintage tone without breaking your back.

15. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Walkabout... alpha and omega of small amps.

16. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    To keep up with a drummer trying to emulate John Bonham? Hand truck. :meh:

Seriously: I tried to defy the laws of physics for many years with various super-compact marvels, and if the band was remotely loud, they all felt strained. IME there's just no substitute for having adequate speaker area.

Fortunately, in my case, with modern technology, 2 12s is usually adequate. I like the simplicity of one 2x12 cab, but there's plenty of 1x12s out there that really slay when paired. Those driven with a shoulder-baggable micro head should make for a nice, potent yet manageable (not to mention flexible) rig.

I'm serious about the hand truck, BTW. On the right occasion, that can really take the edge off an otherwise miserable load-in.

17. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

Shuttle 9.0

:cool:

18. mizzou541

mizzou541

Jan 8, 2010
    MO
    +1

My 2 Aguilar GS 112 cabs are loud and very portable. I can carry my LMII in a bag on my shoulder and grab both cabs and be on my way.

19. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Orange Terror Bass, 500 loud watts (into 4 or 8 ohms) of rabid dog snarl.

The holy grail however is a Thunderfunk 750 through 2 - 4 aggie GS112's, absolute magic and enough volume for damn near any situation.

20. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Loud . . . Schroeder 410L weighs about 51 lbs.

Head . . . one of the small ones. GK and Markbass seem to pair well with Schoeder cabs. I didn't like my Genz Shuttle 6.0 with the Schro cab. The TC RH450 would probably do it too.

Or look for an Epi 410UL

The VT pedal will get you the SVT tone.

+1 on the small hand truck/dolly too