Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the sound of one truss rod breaking?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 18, 2002.

1. There seems to be a lot of questions about truss rods. I would like to know enough to adjust the truss rod on my bass.

How can you tell if you have broken the truss rod? Do you hear a snap or crack? Does the nut/bolt suddenly go slack?

What is the truss rod like moments before the truss rod breaks, so we all know when...to...stop...turning...?

2. Yes good questions, i won't touch my truss for fear of doing something bad to the guitar. its worth a bit in my books, and its my only bass.

:D:D

Merls

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    C'mon guys, there's nothing to be paranoid about.

What I like to do when adjusting the truss rod is to give the neck a little extra support in the direction the truss rod is pulling. I.e. push or pull the peghead away from the strings. You don't need much force; just enough to relieve the stress on the rod. It might take 3 hands at first, but with practice you should be able to do it solo.

Do this right and there's little or no load on the threads, thus no risk of stripping the threads, and no risk of overtightening because you'll know when you've hit the end.

An occasional drop or two of oil on the threads also helps guarantee you'll never get a frozen truss rod.

If the wood under the nut crushes down to the point where it can't be tightened, then you have a problem that requires a pro.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    It takes a pro to unscrew the nut and add a few washers to the shaft to get the nut back on the threads:confused:

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I believe it sounds something like $&*@#!, &%$$!#!!

7. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Well, maybe not... but I wouldn't want to get in the habit of doing this regularly.