what is the spector-sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eisenmann, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    hi guys,

ok i'm planning to buy a new bass soon and i'm very interested in those spector euros because a want a bass with p/j-pu combination.

well now i'm wondering what they sound like. is there a typicall spector-sound? if so how could it be described or what would a p/j-spector sound like?

thanks for your input :bassist:
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The "Spector sound", you ask?

Well, IMO, it's bright, aggressive, and punchy.
  3. heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    i actually thought that the spector sound had something to do with phil
  4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  5. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I'd describe it as:

And anything from hi-fi to growl/grind! :bassist: :hyper:

So I guess you could say.... VERSATILE! ;) :D
  6. cactus waltz

cactus waltz

Feb 10, 2005
    Hah, yeah, me too. I was ready to write something about girl groups and heavy orchestrations.
  7. Eisenmann

May 12, 2004
    uhm who is phil? :confused:

is it possibly to get a p-bass sound with the p-pickup? should be shouldn't it?
    i think the emg-pups make the difference do they?
  8. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Phil is Phil Spector (legendary writer/arranger/producer). They are playing with you... ;)

Yep, you'll get a suped-up P-bass sound from the EMG P pick-up...
  9. You can get a hi-fi P-bass sound from the neck pickup, and a burpy growl from the neck pickup. Don't expect it to sound like a traditionnal Fender, though.
  10. Do any of their US basses have a 3band EQ? The ones I play in the store all have boost only 2 bands, so if you want to scoop the mids you have to do it on the amp and then your stuck with that tone...
  11. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    To me, the key to the Spector "sound" is that unmistakeable growl! Clear, punchy, and aggressive also comes to mind. I think some good examples of a Spector sound are Eddie Jackson on Queensryche's "Operation Mindcrime" and "Empire". If you don't have those records, try downloading "I Don't Believe in Love" or "Jet City Woman" somewhere, I think those two songs in particular highlight the tone of a Spector. Check out Spector's website to see their endorsers list which might help you get a better idea of the tone.
  12. Groovehunter

Dec 3, 2004
    I play a euro 4

The sound to me is

very deep & resonating
    bright and taut
    woody with subtle growls when you dig in
    very colourful
    very powerful

as someone said above, don't expect a fender tone. This bass simply kills, very hi-fi and level in the mix. Consistent tone across the strings and they just amazing!!! But I love em!!
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The spector tone cna best be described as the "Spector tone". ;)
    It's got a bit of a unique tone some like, some don't - like me :meh:
    It has a very nice deep-bass pull, but much of it can get lost in a mix and needs lots of power to cut through. The mid growl is in the upper mid range, and the lower highs are a bit recessed that make it nasal. As I said, some like that tone, some don't
  14. Esoterik

Jun 20, 2004
    Check out Doug Wimbish on Living Colour's "Stain" album. In my opinion that's an even better description of the Spector sound both 4 and 5 strings. The whole album was done with his Spectors with the exception of the fretless tunes that were done with a Warwick.
  15. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    they sound like angels singing, actually they probally sound more like the devil. very strong and agressive. once you own a spector it is very hard to play anything else. good choice on the euro :)
  16. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    The opening of Jet City Woman is a great example of the Spector tone, but try to keep in mind that Eddie uses a lot of overdrive in his sound. Another description of the Spector sound is a piano-like clarity.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's 50 lbs of kick ass in a much lighter package.