1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the stock string spacing on a Mexican Fender Jazz five string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by miketallica315, Mar 24, 2013.

1. miketallica315

miketallica315 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Hey fellow low enders,
    I know that you do not like posts that are seemed to be posted out of laziness, however, I did look in throughout the forum and didn't find exactly what I was looking for first. I am having work done on one of my most recent purchases. It is a 2004 Fender Standard (Mexico) Jazz Bass V. I am having the bridge saddles on a Badass V cut. The tech at GC here in Toledo asked what string spacing I wanted. Naturally I thought that stock spacing from Fender was 19mm (I know that it is considerably larger than my EBMM SR5 at 17.5mm) so that is what I asked for. I still have some time before he begins to work on my instrument if that spacing was wrong I can tell him the right spacing. Thanks for helping me out everyone!

2. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    On my 2001 MIM Jazz 5er, I am getting a measurement of 17mm center to center.

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Fender Mexican Jazz V has specs that don't really work together like their American counterparts.

Case in point. The bridges on the Mexicans are slightly less than 18mm, yet the pickups (and pole pieces) are 18mm and interchangeable with American V's which are 18mm. Thus the strings don't run directly over the top dead center of the pickup pole pieces.

Sloppy.

Get your bridge cut at 18mm and at least that issue will be corrected. 17mm is incorrect and you will have toasted your BA bridge is you use that spec.

4. miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Thanks to those that have replied. I will tell him to have the spacing set to 18mm instead of 19mm. Thanks for the help!

5. miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    So generally, I like my string spacing to sit exactly (or as close as possible) in between the pole pieces. In this case, this jazz bass has the 5 string quarter pound pickups. So, would I still want to go with 18mm as many of you have suggested, or would I be better to go with my original thought of 19mm? Any body know what the spacing is on the quarter pound pickups?

6. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I think Doug is exactly right. Corroborating his point, my 2012 MIM Jazz V Standard.
    attachment.

7. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    19mm is too wide for that bass period. It was designed around an 18mm spec. Your SD pickups may or may not be 18mm. Did you buy them yourself? Came with the bass used? More data please. SD makes pickups for a variety of specs.

Bad Ass bridges are a pain to work with. Suggest you return it and get a Hipshot A style with adjustable bridge saddles. Problem solved. And they make a drop in for Fender. Fm-3

8. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    You can see the strings are off center from the pole pieces on the B and G string. Fender/Mexican = Fail. Replacing the bridge with a Hipshot A Style solves this design flaw.

9. miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Dig this, both the quarter pound pickups and the Badass V came with the bass. I bought it over the phone used from GC in San Francisco for $350.00 and came with a hardshell case. The original owner never had the saddles cut. What he did do was bore out the holes at the very bottom of the bridge and strung it up that way. I am unsure as to why he did this. I bought another Badass V bridge on ebay to have the tech at GC install and correctly cut the saddles. I thought that it might have been 19mm because of how much bigger it felt compared to my Stingray 5.

10. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Well good luck hope we helped you out.

11. miketallica315

Aug 16, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    You did indeed! 18mm is what I am going to have him cut for me. I never would have guessed that the Mexican jazz five string is only a half a mm larger than my Musicman! But thanks a ton guys! I could have ruined my bass and my bridge!