1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the tonal difference between g&l l2000 and tribute?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mytt88, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Mytt88

Mytt88

Jan 18, 2011
    And are there any artists I should check out or albums or live giggs these basses were used on?

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    never played a tribute, but i love my usa L2000 from 83 and my old bass teachers 82

Whats with the G&L's

3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The differences in tonality are minor if they exist at all. Playability is generally better on the US versions.

4. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    I never noticed any difference in actual tonalities from a USA to a Tribute..... its the only instance I can think of that Im familar with where an import's tonal palette is exactly like its USA counterpart

hey man.....Im drf

5. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    In the 80s and 90s, the L-2000 had the infamous "OMG" caps. They phased those out in the late 90s. Tributes never had them. So, I'd say tonality of the Tributes matches the current L-2000s with standard series/parallel switching, but the older US ones with OMG do sound a bit different. Darker, thicker.

mpdd and Killed_by_Death like this.
  6. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    The Tribute uses US made pickups and I would assume that the electronics are made to the same specs, using the same components and circuit board's, as their US made counterparts.

I would assume that the sound difference between the US built L2000 & the L2000 Tribute to be minimal at best.

7. To echo what others have said above: I have both tribute and US versions of the L2500 (5-string), and they sound almost exactly the same. My US L2500 came with a factory-installed single coil switch, though, which isn't an option on the tribute models.

I'm not aware of many big artists that regularly use the L2000. I've seen Michele Temple (Pere Ubu) and Dave Konopka (Battles) play the ASAT bass live, though, and that's basically the same sound as an L2000.

8. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Very, very similar.

9. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey, nice to see a friendly face around here. Hope things are good!

10. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    There isn't any tonal difference. They use the exact same pickups and preamp. I think the pickups on the Tributes are even made in the USA.

The US model has some nice advantages though. It comes with a bone nut, and the lightweight aluminum tuners. It also has higher quality pots and switches, though they function electrically exactly the same way. The body will be made of more choice wood.

Also the US G&L can come with a variety of different necks. So you can shop around for a USA L2000 and find them with 7.5" to 12" radius, or 1.5" to 1.75" nuts, etc. The Tribute neck is fixed at 1.75" nut width, with 12" radius. That can be uncomfortable for some people.

You'll have more color and wood choice options on the USA models.

The quality is higher on the USA models as well. For example they actually install the switch washers the right way without that metal tab poking out. For whatever reason they didn't want to drill three extra small holes on the Tributes. Also the body wood, as I mentioned, is going to look nicer.

11. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The actual neck construction technique is also totally different.

Antisyzygy likes this.
  12. I've heard (but don't know) that the fretwork is much better on the USA. I do have a tribute neck on a parts bass and it plays/feels very nice - but I did need to dress up the frets because they were not dressed well at all (sharp edges)

13. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    I didn't notice on my L2000s but that would make sense. How are they different?

I'm trying to remember if my Tribute (no longer have it) had a fretboard or not now, or if it was made with two pieces of wood or something.

14. Antisyzygy

Antisyzygy

Dec 8, 2014
    Washington
    Yeah, the fretwork on the USA model is better. Part of that is the PLEK job they get, which is essentially a tool for ensuring the frets are all level.

joebar likes this.
  15. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Blurb from G&L....
    G&L Saddle-Lock Bridge
    (mine is the older bi-cut...most stable neck I've ever owned)

16. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Have had both USA and Trib L2500s. Both exactly the same finish/neck too (black/maple). Mine sounded exactly the same to my ears. Both played great, slightly different neck profiles. The USA had better fit and finish but the Trib isn't far behind!

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    As is build quality.
    And there's that pesky "do I want a bass made in the US or a dictatorship" thing.

LowFish likes this.
  18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Good summaries above, but also USA models can be ordered with quartersawn necks, and used to come with them sometimes even without request (like my 2010 JB). I have two G&L's with these, and they seem to add a little extra focus/clarity to the tone, but it's a subtle difference.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  19. RyanKW

RyanKW

Jul 1, 2015
    I played both back to back for the first time the other day. The American one seemed quite better in every way, to me...which is weird because in the Fender world i usually see more value in the cheaper models.

20. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    No tonal difference. It's all in the feel/construction.