Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the tonal difference (not features) between aguilar obp-1 and obp-3?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Skips, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    I've just read all the threads I can find on them, but mostly they discuss the features.

With all the EQ flat (no boosting or cutting) what is the main difference in tone between these two preamps?

Which sounds more hi-fi, and which sounds more ampeg-growly? (I'm assuing neither...but, if you had to pick one)

Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    with both flat, I don't think there's any difference.

The main difference when eqing, apart from the 3 band vs t2 band, comes in the treble. I think it's 6.5khz on the obp-3, and 4khz on the obp-1. IMO the treble boost sounds a bit harsher on the obp-3

Neither are ampeg growly, but given the extra band and the option for treble cut I'll take the obp-3

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Something I thought I read in the Aggie documentation was, I think the OBP-1 runs on 18v, ie 2 batteries.... whereas the OBP-3 can be wired for either 18 or 9volts.

Personally, I prefer 9v active pre's just because I don't wanna have to deal w/ an extra battery.

4. The obp3 can actually run at up to 27 volts, so you can have 3 batteries if you really want to... not sure why you'd want to, but it might be fun to say, Yeah, it's a 27 volt active system ;)

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Jeezums, bassists are soon gonna be spending more money on batteries than guitarists do on strings. Criminal!

Flat, there's no difference. The aggie preamps are wonderfully transparent and do a GREAT job of preserving passive done with a flat EQ. The main difference, like was said earlier, is in the treble. Beyond the fact it's centered 2.5kHz higher than on the OBP-1, the OBP-3 only has 16db of boost/cut for mids and highs and 18 on lows, while it's 18db of boost/cut for both bands on OBP-1.

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    What does 18v have to do with not having to change batteries frequently? If I remember correctly, the batteries in an 18v system should last about as long as the battery in a 9v system. I think the only way you'd have significantly longer battery life is if you wired two batteries in parallel, but it'd still be 9v (I think).

7. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Although conversly depending on your particular pre-amp ciruit your batterys may drain twice as fast at 18v. Although most basses using newer op-amps drain a fairly constant current regardless of supply voltage.

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've had both, and will confirm that both sound identical when set flat...that sound is very similar to the (passive) signal going into them, which is good.

The OBP-1 is a little 'bigger' sounding to my ears, and it seems that its bass and treble EQs have a wider freq band than the OBP-3...which would make sense (need to dedicate some freq for the OBP-'s mid-control to act upon by itself.) That's what it sounds like, anyway.

In the end... you can't go wrong with either. Personally I prefer the OBP-1 in my Jazz-style instruments, and went with the OBP-3 in my Stingray5 (wanted more mids and control over the mids here).

9. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Out of morbid curiosity what does running a pre at 18 volts do? How would it be different from running the same pre at 9 volts? It must be useful, I just don't know how. Thanks everyone!

10. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Not much really, it just makes it harder to clip your on-board preamp. Some people say it sounds more "Open".

11. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Interesting... so there's no real need to modify my Corvette or Sterling for a second battery. Good deal, thanks Tim!

12. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What do you think of the tone of the OBP-3 in your SR5? Is the two band mid control worth it? I'm curious...I might replace the harsh (kinda) EB stock pre in my SUB5 along with a series/parallel switch.
    Thx,
    -Bazz-