1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is the ultimate IEM Setup?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by el murdoque, Feb 1, 2018.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    In a band with a pretty silent stage (e-drums and everyone on a decent IEM), the need for amps is not as big as it used to be. The guitars run tiny 5W tube heads with 112 cabs and I bring my cab more or less only to enhance the IEM experience for me (and the drummer) by adding some vibration to the stage and make my pants flap.

That shifted my attention a little bit away from amplifiers as such, since it became somewhat marginal what gets pumped into the speakers and a lot more important what gets sent into the XLR cable on stage.

I totally dig the sound of tube amps, but always shied away from the 40kgs 300W heads.

What do you guys use to send the perfect signal to IEM ?

makdub likes this.
  2. Mesa subway di or verrellen meatsmoke pre but a noble, reddi, or other decent tube pre can work great too

3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I’m very happy with my SansAmp RBI going into my ears and to FOH. For the price it’s a very decent solution. IMO, anything “better” is getting into diminishing returns territory.

4. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    My band runs all IEMs currently. Roland drum kit and the guitarist mics up a small tube combo behind a shield of sorts (to keep stage volume lower). I have used a Sansamp PBDDI, and briefly a RBI. Now I use an Ampeg PF-50t into an SVT 112av. The transformer D.I. is magical!! It's low enough power that I can get a great sound with a bit of drive out of the 112. It doesn't weigh a ton. It just sounds great! I've never had a better bass sound in my IEMs!

It's still hard for me to believe I can do a single trip load in with a full tube rig...

el murdoque and DirtDog like this.
  5. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    REDDI straight to the console. Usually no EQ on the bass channel or the mix channel (I have the older 1964 Quads which are quite bass, but I took care of that in my IEM transmitter).

With or without an amp.

6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I’m presently using the Mesa Subway Pre/DI with a few carefully considered pedals ahead of it.

7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    DI to the PA or into cab or ?
    Curious.. eyeing the D800+ right now.

8. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    No cab. No backline. DI to the FOH board.
    C2628A42-2D03-49BA-97F9-1E49479170B0.

I CAN use the same rig into a power amp with a cab. When I may need to do that, line out goes to a Demeter Minnie 800D sitting atop a Berg AE212.
    E046F043-174E-497C-B491-20ADCFC20BDC.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    el murdoque and s0c9 like this.
  9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Thanks for the info.. much appreciated.
    I'm running an Ampeg SCRDI DI to FOH right now. . preceded by a tuner, compressor and chorus pedal.

Ethereal Thorn and bucephylus like this.
  10. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    BTW, I have zero doubt the D800+ is an exceptional amp. I already had a Bergantino B|Amp and a Demeter VTBP by the time the D800+ issued; and one has to be somewhat reasonable in this life.:thumbsup::D

Ethereal Thorn and s0c9 like this.
  11. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    The Ampeg is fine; but, I think you would be pretty pleased by what the Mesa does. Very fine pre/DI, and works exceptionally well with other pedals. Same for the D800+, of course.

12. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Sadly, I can't find one locally to try out, so I'm going to have to buy one to do that.. <shrug>
    I am doing a bunch of interweb research on it.

bucephylus likes this.
  13. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Understood. The better gear suppliers should be willing to agree to a 48 hour approval etc.

s0c9 likes this.
  14. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I do run a Sansamp Programmable BDDI and this setup works without fail, the tone I get is really good.

At home, I run the Sansamp into a little boutique 15W single sided Class A tube head - and this is the sound I want.
    For Reasons unnkown to me, the balanced out of that little amp does not sound like the speaker out, however. Not even close.

15. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    it won't because it's probably coming from the pre-amp side (can you select pre/post?). Does the master volume affect the balanced out level? If not, then it's pre-amp out, so that signal will be missing power side plus speaker impact on the tone.

16. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    It is post, but that does not matter - I won't be using this amp for IEM.