Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is the ultimate sub enclosure...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wezerhead, Jul 21, 2002.

1. wezerhead

wezerhead

May 31, 2002
    northwest iowa
    i'm trying to look for another cabinet that would match my eden 410xlt, the eden has great projection, but i need something that really shakes the floor and thats not totally massive. can you help me out? has any one had experience with the Bag End 118s?

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I think the ultimate subwoofer would be anything from Servodrive but there smallest is a 2-18".

The Bag End 18" is smaller than your 4-10" so it won't be a physical match but sonicly it should do just fine. This system requires the use of an ELF processor which start around $900-2100 new, and a seperate amplifier or channel (400 watts).

3. wezerhead

wezerhead

May 31, 2002
    northwest iowa
    is their any speaker cabinets under a 1000 than can put out alot but still fit in a mid sized car? the largest i would want is 2 15's or a couple of seperate 18's... has any one had experience with acme b series or swr big bens? please give me input guys, and thanks.....

4. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    well.....
    [​IMG]
    Bag End Bassault-R. 4x21, flat to 20?
    this comes pretty darn close IMO. oh wait, this doesnt fit a single one of your requirements, nevermind;)

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    There are three Bag End 1x18 models that *don't* require the ELF system. The S18B-D looks good.

An Acme won't be able to produce enough volume to match your Eden if you're pushing it. And, if you're not pushing it you don't need another cab. :)

6. well, for lower priced alternatives you might consider SWR's Big Ben 1x18 (which has a BagEnd driver) or the Carvin SW1802 2x18. they're both available for around $750 US and solid buys. in addition, if you're looking for an 'ultimate sub' that's not a BagEnd piece what about AccuGroove's Whappo Grande? the cabinet itself is being redesigned so that it's more portable than the current design and it's rated down to 23Hz. mind you, that 21" speaker ain't cheap or light, but it's gonna be tough to beat sonically...

:D

hope that was some help,

from the low end,

Stew

7. hahahaha!! That's hoot-worthy....

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    when i saw the subject, i thought to myself, this guy needs a 726 Class submarine hull, but alas, you were talking about a bass cab...check out the whappo grandes, man...

9. Go to harmony-central, and search for "Merle Unruh". Look for the story of his home-built 8x18 cabinet.

10. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    BagEnd ELF subs are *very* compact, their design is to intentionally minimize the size of the enclosure and then optimize the freq.response and phasing with the processor. and ELF and two 12" subs would be quite easy to transport.
    I haven't heard the big Accugrooves, but from the one's I have heard, I would vote for them as well.
    (Hi Stew!, saw your post).

-Qua

11. hey Qua!

good to see you posting and sharing all that technical know-how. some day I'll have to start amassing some of my own...!

from the low end,

Stew

12. hey Ronzo II,

I looked for the Merle Unruh 8x18 thread but couldn't find it. now I'm curious as anything. can you help me out?

from the low end,

Stew

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Try the Eden D-410XST.

Its similar to the XLT, but with more low end.

If you dont want another 4-10, they also have a D-210XST which should be a good add on to your D-410XLT.

Peace
    Nick