1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what is the value of a 74 jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 7thbass, Apr 14, 2006.

1. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Looking at a fretless 74 jazz.

Truss rod has been replaced, new ebony lined fingerboard has been installed.
    Has aftermarket basslines stack jazz pickups with preamp (coil tap, etc).

Not sure if re-finished, but probably was at some point.

The truss rod thing scares me a bit. I have no experience with those kinds of repairs and what effect they have over the long term.

Too many fleas on the dog? I can't play it before I buy it, but will be able to return if problem. Have been told neck straight and true.

Any thoughts?

2. Not much on the collectors market. If it plays well, go for it, but make sure he doesn't charge more than he should. Since you can't try it... I'd probably stay away, unless he's giving you a great deal.

3. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    If it were a clean, stock '74, I'd think somewhere north of a grand, but south of say two grand would be in order. That said, while a replaced trussrod is a "repair", a new fingerboard is a deal killing mod, IMHO. Pickups, you can find '74s and replace the duncans should you so desire. There is practically no way to make that neck back into a Fender. I'd say if it plays well, sounds good, etc, I'd offer no more than any other "parts bass" would be worth. You know, Sadowsky, Lull, all those thrown together axes.... KIDDING. What I mean is a warmoth jazz, no builder branding at all. The fact that it is a Fender body (we think) MIGHT make it worth more, but not to me.

Clear as mud??

4. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    ?!

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'd try to go lower.

FFS, new truss rod and new fretboard?

6. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    For $600 I'd jump on it.

7. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    punch him in the face. then steal it

8. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I am looking for a player, and maybe this is it. I will see if I can negotiate down a bit.

9. Yep, it has NO collector value so work your best deal.

10. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    It seems that some of the things that most people would like in a vintage bass have been replaced - pick-ups, fretboard, etc.

If you like it as a player's bass, $600 seems fair if the neck is in fact straight and it has no issues. You can always offer less and see what happens.

I just sold a '73 jazz for $1850. The front PU had been replaced, the bridge changed to a BadA$$ II, and two of the pots were not original. The neck/fretboard were original and are in good shape; the neck is straight. Original finish. Maybe this helps in judging your possible purchase.

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    At 600$ it's a steal! Thats less then a new Geddy or Marcus, and it has a better body, better electronics. If you like the sound (pre-amp and pickups) and the refinnish isn't a screw-up job, the worst that could happen is you would have to replace the neck. And a good neck replacement shouldn't be more then 3-400$. It's certainly worth a grand! A new American 75 reissue goes for 12-1400!

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'd personally think that 6-800 would be about right. The loss of the original pickups, the trussrod and fingerboard are major value problems.

If there was a trussrod problem AND they had to put on a new fingerboard, it makes me wonder about the soundness, stability and straightness of the neck in the long run.

Yes, you can replace the pickups, but finding 74/75 true 'vintage' pickups will cost you (more than you think). And if you just get another neck, it truely is a parts bass. Also, were there any additional mods going with the electronics? I mean if the plate was drilled for switches or such, than that's more to think about.

13. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Very helpful. I am not as concerned with collectibility, just looking for a good player. Heavens knows I don't make enough money at music to justify a "collectible" bass.

I have been frustrated that japanese fretless basses, now ~10 yrs old, are selling for more than they did new.

I am amazed that I could sell my 1999 MIA jazz for more than I paid for it new at GC!

The search for a used fretless has been tough. A lot of good new Korean models, some pretty good new MIM models, but not so many great used MIM or affordable used MIJ/CIJ or used MIA fenders.

The MIM basses really seem to shine after around 2000-2001, but older ones that I have played did not seem as substantial, no idea why. Maybe there is some consensus about which I am unaware.

In any event, thanks for the help.

14. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    $600 sounds pretty fair to me. Do you know a good luthier? You might ask them what it would cost to replace the truss rod. Use this as a bargaining chip because if you're not sure that it was done right or still has issues and has to be re-done, then you know what you're getting into.