Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the weight of your F Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've seen a few posts and heard a bit of rumbling about F Basses weighing in a bit more than say an American Lakland or a Roscoe. Is this true?

I also hear that the neck profile is a bit rounder than what you'd find on the basses listed above. Are they edging more toward the feel of an American Fender 5'er?

2. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    No, I think it is lighter than American Fender Jazz. Atn lestmthet is what I feel. There is a deep scallop in the upper horn that reduces the weight.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Studio 5 is Ash and doesn't feel heavy at all. On my bathroom scale it's around 9.5 lbs. The neck feels neither overly round nor overly thin... for me it's just right.

4. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    It's not a tank. I may have misled you the other day. I don't have 1/2 lb breakdowns on my bathroom scale, but my bn5 is somewhere between 9 and 10 pounds, whereas the Sadowsky is 8 7/8 according to their website. The Sadowsky is noticeably lighter but the F is not nearly as heavy a a typical Stingray 5 for an example. I would also say that other than weight, there is absolutely no comparison of an F bass to a Fender other than some cosmetic ones with the new FMT model that a couple of talkbassers swear by.

LKaye

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks guys. That's about what I was figuring but just wanted to check. I really wish that there was a BN5 locally that I could try out but I live in the anti-bass zone.

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Mine is natural and is about the same weight as my Sadowsky Vintage 5. Much lighter than the Foderas or neckthrough Spectors I've owned. If you're in S. Cal on a trip, I'd be happy to let you try mine

Rob

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    An amazingly light 8.5 pounds!

Despite it's light weight, it still puts out a ballsey low end! This bass sounds fantastic. It makes me wonder what the Studio model sounds like, which is slightly heavier.

My bass is a standard BN5 and the back of the neck has less meat and roundness than Fenders. It's extremely easy to play.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    If all goes as planned I'll have a BN5 (natural, like yours) here tomorrow to a/b with my Studio 5.

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Brad, I'm very curious to hear about your thoughts between the BN5 and the Studio.

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yep Brad,

Your A/B comparison of the two basses would be appreciated.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It arrived today... and I wasn't home:D. Come on tomorrow.