Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the worst physical pain you have ever been through?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Jun 17, 2005.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I ask this, because last night i passed a kidney stone. Twas 5mm, and terrible. I went to the ER at about 9pm, and at about 12, i finally got a bed and some pain medication. i was discharged at 4:30 am.

that, easily, was the worst pain i had ever experienced. It was so bad, that every time it spiked, it made me vomit so hard, there are about 4 broken veins in my eyes, and another 5 on my face.

so, what is your most painful (physical) experience?

slick

2. Right off the top of my head (I might have another): facial burns. Hot antifreeze on the face. The smell still makes me nauseous. I'm not sure this compares to yours.

Mike

Oh!! two more: Stitches without anesthetic (tried to be a man). And exposed nerve right after having your wisdom teeth removed. I had a mouthful of gause, was half-conscious (thanks to drugs) and the pain was still so intense I conveyed the handwritten message on a phone book (complete with curse words) to my own mother. If anyone ever drives an unsharpened pencil into an open wound in my jaw with a tack hammer, it will feel like that.

3. that's easy
    3 years ago I had a massive heart attack..
    was dead on the table for 4 minutes..

but I'm alright now

my wife and I had just finished setting up our gear for a gig that night.. I strapped on my bass,, and {BAM}... luckily, we were just around the corner from the Hospital..

unfortunately, we weren't able to complete the gig :(

(I can describe it as,,, think of your last tooth ache,, now multiply that by 1 million, you'd be getting close)

4. I don't remember any serious pains that well earlier in my life, probably because I'm young and a male (thrill hormornes or whatever) but about a month ago, in my engineering and design class (building robots for a competition), I was cutting a piece of metal vertically, as opposed to horizontally, becase it was the only way that I could position the piece. So basically, this buzz saw on this machine is cutting through a bunch of metal all at once. I absentmindedly touched, no tapped, the metal and instantly my thumb was searing. Luckily it only hurt for several hours, and I avoided a major burn (don't know what constitutes degrees but a friend nearby said it looked at first like a 2nd or 3rd degree burn).

5. My old man likened it to an elephant standing on your chest for 3 days (he died and was revived on the way to the hospital...no light, I asked). Glad you're doing fine.

Mike

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Probably a few days after my first two wisdom teeth were taken out. The dentists who did it didn't do a great job and didn't give me the proper care instructions afterwards. I was balled up on the couch nearly crying at some moments. It lasted a couple weeks.

Runners up would include:
    1. Had a filling put it that was not shaped perfectly-it was a little too long, so when I bit down the tooth started pushing up into the nerve, resulting in some pretty bad nerve pain.
    2. Got an inguinal hernia a year ago. The surgery went fine, but when I'd try to move or have to cough, I'd get some really shooting groin pains. They were short though-nothing compared to the dental pains that would last hours on end.

I got stitches when I was little in my lip after biting a hole in it, and in my forehead after knocking myself out on the wooden part of our couch, but I don't remember how those hurt.

7. Whoa, I had no idea a heart attack was that painful. Then again, it is only the instance of 5 gallons of blood pressing on your heart, so quite literally, it wouldn't be disimilar to having an elephant step on your chest.

8. Me either. I hear every one is different, but my father said he was paralyzed by the pain. He said all he could do was gasp and fall over (and vomit from the pain). He's doing well now, but he said the pain was unforgettable.

Mike

9. Not so much the worst pain, but this was/is really painful, and recent. Two nights ago I ended up in the ER because I accidently stabbed my self with scissors. The scissors were incredibly sharp so it went in very very deep plus blood everywhere. I now have a limp and it's right on the side of my knee so when I walk it stretches the stitches.

I was holding the scissors and my sister needed to get by me in a tight spot and when I moved over/ was nudged over my leg went right into the scissors. I was sitting on the floor cutting something out for her big highschool project. Silly me, I didn't realize at first what i did and my automatic reaction was to pull my hand away, which the scissors were attatched to. Well anyone who have taken first aid knows not to pull something that is stuck in you out, and well blood went everywhere. But it is only about half an inch long, but it is about an inch and a half deep.

I feel really stupid telling people I stabbed myself with scissors, and honestly I think I deserve the many many jokes I have got from it, especially when they see me limping around. I think I'd make fun of me aswell, but it is still painful.

10. I'd make something up...like how you fought off 6 ninjas before one of them finally stabbed you right before you broke his kneecap with your nightstick. But that's me. Oh, and I'd change the story every four or five tellings, just to keep it interesting.

Mike

11. HAHA!!! I tried telling a different story, until I found out my sister told a few of my friends and it spread like wild fire. Though I could always say the scissor story was just a cover up of the ACTUAL story, thus being the ninja story. I just didn't want to sound as cool as I actually am. :ninja:

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

[​IMG]

13. Awesome. On the same note: in the past, I've had occasion to be in charge of activities at a youth camp in the summer. No one thought the Scissor Relay was funny (the Sharp Things theme was shot down, too).

Mike

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my pain is nothing compared to others, but it did make me think really hard about life:

stomach ulcer

herniated disc w/ syatica (sp?)

:)

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Breaking leg or getting kicked from behind in the nuts.

16. I think I need that shirt! Made me laugh really hard!

17. I did something stupid that would have actually been a cool and somewhat believeable story. I was doing math using a mechanical pencil and a big flying, unidentified bug flew ontop of my book. I went to smack it not realizing that my pencil was still in my hand and I cut myself with the end of the pencil. It bled slightly, didn't hurt hardly at all ( I know, off topic, but on topic with the idea of a story), but looked like a battle scar. I went to school next day with the story that I had gotten into a brawl and a guy came behind my with a knife. The knife, I said, didn't get to my throat but scracted me as I was perfoming Saewa-nagi (a judo throw) on them, because I was in Judo at the time.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Getting a tooth drilled without any novocain, is the worst I can think of at the moment.

Oh wait.. there was that time I tore my thumbnail off, but I was really little, I don't really remember the pain.

19. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    The worst pain in my recent memory was a little under a year ago, when a rusty nail went about half an inch into the top of my foot. I was walking up the stairs in my house and there was an old nail sticking out of the bottom of the railing. It went right into a big vein and I was bleeding and screaming and cursing for 15-20 minutes. The pain went away within a couple of hours, but I now have a big scar where it happened.

20. Two things, both involving my back, were what I described as "a new adventure in pain."

The first time my back went out with no real warning. I was in the hallway in my underpants and it took me nearly an hour to get back to my apartment and to the phone. That was a whole lot of suck in one place.

I'd rate getting a discogram just underneath that. They shove a needle in your disc and attempt to replicate the pain you've been experiencing- I swear I was floating off that table.