Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is there to dislike about a Lakland Skyline 55-02?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by remo, Jan 23, 2006.

1. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    apart from the facts it's not US built and has thinner top on the Delux model what is worth mentioning as a negative on a Skyline 55-02? (I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one) :bag:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    theyre great, doo ittt

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Should be under $1000.

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    She's not Rachem

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I don't own one?

6. Maybe not a negative, but they are heavier than their 55-94 counterparts. Hving owned both a 55-02 and 55-94 I can vouch for that. If you never picked up a 55-94-no big deal. The 55-02 is not terribly heavy. As a matter of fact I never noticed it until I got my 55-94. Great bass though. One thing to note though. Laklands with Barts are very tame sounding basses. They are smooth as all get out and you can dial in a bit of growl, but they are not a Musicman. The Bart setup was meant to sit in a mix like nobody's business-which it does very well! Think about what kind of sound you are after. If you play more aggressive music (rock,etc.), you may consider ordering a 55-02 with SD Basslines. Great choice either way, just taste, that's all.
    Mitch

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Only partially relevant: I have a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody, and build quality, electronics and playability are all very excellent.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I love my 55-02. It's my main bass. No complaints at all.. It's my 2nd lightest bass :p

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I picked up a 55-02 used in December. I was prepared to like it, but I was initially disappointed because it needed a fret job. After I had the action set pretty high, I was able to play it with minimal buzz and I came to see that it was a very smooth playing bass. I still was unsure about having the work done and I came very close to selling it here at TB. About the time I was close to selling it, I used it at choir practice and I was struck at how well this bass sounded in a larger venue. I could finally use all the tone controls in a way that I couldn't in the small confines of my den/computer room. A week later, I played this bass in a service and I was blown away. A bassist in the audience told me that I sounded great and that I should keep that bass. The bottom line is that the 55-02 is one of the smoothest playing basses I have ever owned and it sounds wonderful in live performance. It sounds great around the house too, but in a bigger venue, it really comes alive.

The Barts are polite, but they reproduce Fender style sounds as well as any bass I have ever heard. The Bartolini equipped 55-02 is not a Stingray clone, don't let the big humbucker fool you. Instead, this bass is great at Fender and semi-Fender tones. A couple of settings resemble a Stingray, but if that is what you want, you need a Stingray or Ibanez ATK. I love the string spacing, I believe it is a full 19mm. I never had problem with my old Stingray, but I prefer the wide string spacing. I also am very comfortable with the 35" scale, although 34" scale basses are fine with me too. For players who want a versatile, Fender inspired bass who don't have Sadowsky/Lull/USA LAkland money, the 55-02 is a wonderful choice. I hear, the Seymour Duncans are much more like a Stingray, which means they must be cool because the Stingray is a perfect bass in its own way. I guess I really would like a 55-02 with Duncans to compliment my Bart equipped bass. I plan to get my frets done in February and I expect to be really happy when I get this bass back! No bass is for everybody, but I can honestly say that the 55-02 is a great bass for me.

10. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    cool.. I actually already own a MM SR5 and I'm looking for something less aggressive! so it seems it will be a perfect match.. I will keep my SR5 for a while until I totally suss out the 55-02 when I get it.. thanks for the replies, it's all actually exactly what I wanted to hear!

11. Hey man
    I have owned an SR5 in the past. Loved everything about it except one the thing - narrow string spacing. I have owned a number of basses since but have always longed for that stingray tone - with a wider string spacing. I have sinced bought a 55-01 and I am amazed at how close it is to a stingray in tone. Not the same but has that aggresive zing of the musicman.
    I actually had the choice of the 55-02 and 55-01 and went for the 55-01 specifically for the tone. The fact that you want a less aggresive bass - the 55-02 sounds perfect and the US preamp would definatley be an added bonus.

Are you looking at the bass centre in Melbourne for yours? Good to know there may be another TB Aussie Lakland owner :)

12. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    35" scale (fine with some people, not fine with others)
    A bit heavy

13. I may just have had a bad experience, so put this in perspective of many, many other TBers having wonderful time with their 55-02's... I got a maple/maple neck which just didn't seem terribly stable. I had to get it set up fairly often and/or tweak it regularly to get the action I wanted (I tend to go low action). Wonderful sounds from it though, with a very versatile EQ circuit. I traded it in for a cab a little while back because I realised that my Conklin GT7 was giving me all the bass joy I needed with my new rig and the Lakland wasn't quite... Still a great bass though.

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That I don't have one yet....

:crying:

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Small frets need replacing sooner than jumbos, but do give the bass a great feel and sound.

16. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Must depend on the bass, cause my 55-02 is easily the lightest bass I've owned. In fact, it kinda freaks me out when I pick it up cause it seems just by looking at it that it should be heavier than it is. If it's much over 8 pounds (if that) I'd be surprised.

Originally the 35" scale was a bit for me to adjust to and my hand would cramp up a bit, but after a few weeks it's old hat.

Love it. Great bass that is excellent live or recorded... though mine is seeing a bit less time since I picked up my DJ5.

You can often find them used in the $800 range. Picked mine up for $850 shipped w/HSC in excellent condition.
    ---
    Chris

17. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    It could be a bit cheaper and I don't really see the point of 35" scales.

18. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    This depends a lot on the setup and strings used... mine's an '03 that has been played a ton and it shows very little fret wear so far.

Could always pick up a brand new neck from Lakland for $300 too... probably not that far off from a fret job.
    ---
    Chris

19. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    One thing to note though. Laklands with Barts are very tame sounding basses. They are smooth as all get out and you can dial in a bit of growl, but they are not a Musicman. The Bart setup was meant to sit in a mix like nobody's business-which it does very well! Think about what kind of sound you are after. If you play more aggressive music (rock,etc.), you may consider ordering a 55-02 with SD Basslines. Great choice either way, just taste, that's all.
    Mitch[/QUOTE]

Ditto on my experience with the 55-02 sound. I bought a new one a couple of weeks ago and found that my L2500 sound blows the 55-02 sound away in a gig situation. Having said that, though, the 55-02 is a great looking bass with a superior neck, heft and feel. I also really like the wider string spacing. Man, if I could get this thing to sound like an L2500 I think I would have found my "holy grail" bass...or close to it! :hyper:

20. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My 55-01 is probably a good pound lighter than my warmoth dinky J, 4-banger. I'll go thru stretches where it stays in the case, because I love my dinky j.... but then, I'll break it out, because I need a Low B,, & fall in love with it all over again.