1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is there to do?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Pete91, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Pete91

Pete91

Oct 14, 2010
    hey everyone,

ive been playing bass for a little while. this sites always been a great help for me so i thought i'd ask here.

anyway im just running out of stuff to do with my bass.

right now at this point in my life with college, work, my girlfriend, etc i dont really have time to be playing in a band.

so my problem is what do i do with my bass? normally i'd just run through some exercises, learn some basslines in songs i like, and call it a day.

but im getting a bit bored of that and i am finding my bass time is dwindling.

so what can i do to keep up my interest with bass even if i cant play in a band? because jamming and playing shows is absolutely awesome but i dont really know lots of musicians to jam with, and i honestly do not have the time to get involved in a lot of this.

so what can i do to keep up my interest in bass until i have time to start getting into jamming again?

2. frianbisher

frianbisher

Dec 28, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Tell you the truth, when I get bored of bass I pick up a g****r or play a keyboard. Or I also mess around with recording a little bit on my PC...nothing too serious but its different from doing scales or playing along to songs you like.

3. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    You can always try to write songs with your bass. Being the Bassist, Lead Singer, and Keyboardist of my band, I find that my best songs (and the ones that I don't lose interest in, and also the ones my band want to keep around) are the ones I've written with my Jazz at my side. You could always do stuff like that. Or pick up a "instrument that shall not be named". :D

4. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Get a loopstation and be your own band.

5. Pete91

Pete91

Oct 14, 2010
    hmmm, maybe you guys are right. perhaps i will buy a... thing... (you know, with the 6 strings... i wont name it here :ninja:) just so i can write music by myself in a more engaging way.

the thing is i just really love playing bass, but it really has the most applications as an instrument to support other ones.

6. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I was thinking about a year or two ago about buying a 6-string bass and a RC-20. That way I could loop a bassline and then play a melody on the higher strings....

Just a thought, though. I never got the chance (money):meh:

7. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    All great suggestions..

you could also........

A) Play with different tunings

B) Run through the same scales but with 'slap' technique.

C) Play nothing but chords on it.

D) Play the melody to all the songs you usually play the basslines to

E) Transcribe solos (from all different instruments)

F) Make a list of all the songs you like and learn them 1 by 1

G) Play in a different location of the house

H) Play a totally different style than you usually play (Hard Metal, R&B, Jazz, Afrobeat etc)

I) Learn Jaco's bassline and solo on 'Havona'....should keep you busy for a couple years or so

J) Finally, take a break..sometime it's all you need.

8. dannylectro

dannylectro

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    When I get bored, I pick 5 - 6 songs with cool bass parts and learn them note for note. Extra points for songs outside my "normal" genre or style. Good for the fingers, good for the ears.

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a bit of a stumper actually. When I got bored of playing to a CD I posted a CL list and joined a band. If I had decided I didn't have time for a band I don't know what I would have done. Bass is great but I do think it works best as a band instrument, not a solo instrument.

You may want to trying hooking up with other musicians just to jam and not to play out. I would go ahead and post a CL ad that says you're just looking to do that from time to time and not to form a band commitment. You'll probably find someone like-minded, just to get together for a fun hour once every week or two. You could also look for blues jam open mics and plan on getting in with the jam a bit. Then you don't have to commit to practicing with a full time band.

10. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    boredom comes from practicing what you can already play.
    practice things that are not yet possible for you.

that said, there is no superior motivation than having to perform.
    you have college: can you get credits for a jazz band or some such?
    you have a girlfriend: can you learn a piece of music just for her?
    learn xmas songs to perform for your family gatherings...?

11. ubersku

ubersku

Sep 15, 2010
    Keizer, OR
    To get better, you must challenge your current skills. Practice, practice. practice!!! No secrets how to do it!

12. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    I have been playing for 15 years, and only recently started playing with other musicians (freak, I know). I would get bored and stop playing, sometimes for up to a year. Sometimes taking a break from it for a few weeks can help you feel inspired when you pick it back up. But I have been playing the most ever in this last year. The thing keeping me going right now is getting out of my comfort zone. I`m primarily an alt-rock / metal guy. But I`ve been learning everything from old Michael Jackson to Ray Charles, U2 to Tori Amos, Muse to Cream, Prince, Randy Travis, BB King, Merle Haggard - anything. It has made playing @ home interesting, exciting, and challenging again.

13. Effects. When I start to loose interest, I'll study up on what effects are out there that I can afford, and then pursue them. Once I have them, my interest in bass is rekindled and generally mess around with that effect for a while. Then, it's on to the next one. Even though my concious mind is playing around with the effect, subconciously I'm still building my chops.

14. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    are you kidding me? just play it. play your own music, whatever comes out. that's about 90% of what I do on my bass. it's almost a meditative state.

you get to a point where learning other people's lines is a shallow enjoyment, and honestly not really an achievement at all from a technical standpoint

15. Luff

Luff

Sep 25, 2010
    Instead of buying a guitar you could try out some piccolo strings for your bass.

Edit: Oh, and I'm seconding playing your own stuff, of course. There's nothing I don't enjoy more about playing than improvising and writing my own stuff.