Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is this 50's Bass with Strange F-holes

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Barefoot Larry, May 6, 2004.

1. Does anyone have an opinion as to what this bass might be???

One end of each F-hole isn't completely cut through to where it circles around.

Click on the thumbnail below to see how the bottom of one F-hole and top of the other are not cut all the way through.

It's supposedly 50's vintage or earlier.

Attached Files:

2. This business of connected FFholes is not unheard of....these are the first i've seen in a laminated bass....I take it as being laminated. Abraham Prescott left some of his connected.....as in the Prescott in the Elgar "Looking at the Double Bass" Page 200
    I haven't a clue for ya Larry.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    teh flame on the back and neck remind me of an Hofner URB....it could be a Hofner. They did make them in the 50's

4. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I noticed that bass on eBay as well. I never could figure out what it is. The flame makes it interesting.

az

5. I sent the seller an email asking if I could come check it out in person, and he hasn't responded, which seems a little odd, since there are only two days left on the auction, he has no bids on it, and a local buyer would keep him from having to crate it for shipping.

It starts to make me wonder if there's some reason he doesn't want it checked out in-person. :cool:

6. But did they have connected F-holes?

Someone else had mentioned Hofner, but in searching for it, I'm finding everything in the world about Paul McCartney, and nearly nothing about double basses. :meh:

7. BEARFOOD HAIRY:
    What else do you know about the bass? Looks like plywood, but do you know for sure?
    I´m familiar with connected ff-holes in carved basses. One Finnish maker also made them that way. I have one of his earlier basses ( ´52 ), with normal holes, but in the sixties he altered the model ( bigger than earlier basses ) and started leaving the ff-holes connected in both ends. It´s supposed to stiffen the top and make it stronger, so that it can be graduated thinner, too.
    Don´t know what this bass is, though. Definitely not Finnish!

R2

8. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    It would make me wonder too. I don't trust guys like that. The seller may want to gouge the buyer for shipping. Either way, unless the guy will let you look at it, I would stay clear.

az

9. I have no idea about the bass, but I think the purpose behind leaving the f holes connected like that is to prevent wing cracks.

10. Well the seller DID get back with me, but only to say that he'd be happy to drop it off locally at my house. He didn't specifiy that he wouldn't charge me for that (I'd assume not...) and still didn't say anything about getting me and the bass in the same room at the same time, so I sent another email this morning asking him about that again.

He may just keep a lot of ebay items around his house and not like strangers coming around to see what all he has that's thievable.

11. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Cool, go for it, I hope it is a Juzek or something good.

az