Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHAT is this? and what it's worth??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emielow, Jun 2, 2004.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
  2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Eko was an Italian company in the 60's, maybe early 70's. Actually, they were an accordian company that thought that the wave of the future was turning to guitars. Unfortunately for them, it didn't work out. Micheal Wright, who does The Different Strummer articles for Vintage Guitar mag has written about the company in one of his Guitar Stories books.

Recently, the EKO name has been revived on Korean made instruments.

I have no idea of the date of the one in the pic...how old does it look? As far as value, other then the fact that you don't see many of them (probably just as well, from what I have heard about them) they don't have any great monatary value, so it is probably worth what someone may be willing to spend on it.

Steve

3. That looks like something really special. I would recommend sending this pic to Steve Barr at Vintage Bass Trading Company and get his opinion. Here's the link:

www.vintagebass.com

Maybe he can tell you something salient or more probably who else to contact.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Definitely an interesting looking bass. I'd check it out, personally.

5. DaRt

DaRt

Apr 28, 2004
    Bangkok,Thailand
    very interesting!! ;)

6. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    allright thanks,

but if i like it, it's not a bad deal? (about 200 euros)

thanks

7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    200 euros is about $200 in USA, right? If that is the case, it is not a major investment in the like of a new USA Fender, a German made Warwick or an Esh. Quality wise, each mentioned would be far above the Eko, but the Eko does have a coolness factor in that there arn't many of them around. In the USA I would consider $200 to be a fair price for that bass, but personally I don't know if I would go much above it unless I had an inner voice saying, "This is one bass you just have to have..." On the other hand, there are a few old ball basses that the aforementioned inner voice speaks up, and I jump all over. Go figure...

Steve

8. About 10 or so years ago I went to this music "store" downtown, it was the sole distribution point in the US for EKO guitars in the 1960s (featuring 8x10 B/W promo photos of EKOs big rock endorsee- the Standells). After talking with the "salesman" and thought it was neat that they had all these old guitars in pristine shape, he said they had thousands in the basement. EKO was not a big seller. Go figure, the building is condos now.

"Store" and "salesman" are in quotes because they didn't seem to be too interested in selling stuff, no dealing on prices-around $1500 for an Ampeg fliptop amp, around $600 for a 1970s Mu-Tron (or was it Maestro) wacko fuzz pedal thing. Acceptable prices now, back then... I couldn't tell you what any of the EKOs were going for, I wasn't even the slightest bit interested in them.