Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is this and why does it sound so good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quallabone, Aug 4, 2004.

1. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    [​IMG]
    ????????????

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's an Ibanez ATK. I had one of the less expensive ones about eight years ago. It has a good Music Man style sound. :bassist:

3. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Hey, I saw that guy a couple of weeks ago with Joe Bonamassa, only he was playing this one:

[​IMG]

4. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    that dude looks like a pirate...

of course, not as much as i do

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

ATKs are excellent basses. They get a pretty close approximation of the classic 'Ray tone(better than a Stingray 5 IMHO) and have some other tones built in, to boot. One of the best basses Ibanez has made in the last 15 years. Too bad they discontinued them in the US.

6. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I followed Bonamassa around last year for a month or so. What a player. Eric isn't bad either.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    The perfect bassist!:)

8. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

theres been one on the for sale section for at least 2 months, for a very nice price. Usa made, too.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Is that Johnny Depp on bass?

That ATK looks way cooler minus the pickguard, wonder if it's one of the (rare) US made ones.

Joe B. has been an Ibanez endorser since he was a little kid, bet his bass dude got those as freebies.

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    His bass is on fire.

I had one of those, too. Good basses, although the Peruvian climate really screwed with the neck. I was always having to tweak that thing.

11. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

it is not.

12. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I've never heard or seen Bonamassa on an Ibanez. He's a fender/gibson/gigliotti guy as far as I know. Where did you hear this about ibanez if you don't mind me asking?

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I agree whole-heartedly with EVERY comment Jeff just made. (Sorry SR5 people! I considered them, but the ATK beat it!) I just wish the ATK 4 had a slimmer neck. Is the red bass pictured strung with a high C? I've been wanting to do that to an ATK, but have to wait till I find another or get my other 5 in.

14. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Always with a low B when playing with Bonamassa. Nothing above about a high C (like the string) ever comes out of his bass.

15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    ATK- Is one great bass.
    Ibanez hit a home run with this one.
    Can someone tell me why they are not made anymore?
    Had a fretless sunburst one, great bass, good tone, played well, great for the money. If I catch the Dude who stole mine
    well you get the picture.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The ATK series is still made, it is just no longer sold in the US. It is still available in Japan and Europe.

17. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Importing would probably be crazy expensive wouldn't it?

18. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Well I just got back from a local bassists place where I played his 5 string ATK. Holy crap!!@!@! That might be one of the nicest 5's I've ever played. I kept trying to point out flaws, like I do with all Ibanez basses, but I just couldn't find them.

Dear god. I think I might be experiencing something terrible from my past. My lord.... Could it be????????? No way.... IT IS!!!

GAS!!!