Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is this Aria Pro bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    [​IMG]

Looks like some Aria Pro II's from 80's, Rev-Sound model to be exact. Anyone heard about these basses? Saw couple reviews for RSB-Deluxe at Harmony Central and the prices were something like $1000. The thing is, this one is going for like $150 in auction.

It seems to have quite nice features. I'd guess it has humbucker with single coil switch, and those pots could be vol w/ 2-band eq. Plus there's neckthru construction and odd inlays.

Seems like the owner doesen't know what he has in his hands. Now, is this some high-end Aria going for incredibly cheap price, or just some $10 model, that's what I'd like to know.

2. it is a high Aria going for an incredible cheap price, I'd say go for it!....

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Are you sure? It doesn't looks particularly high-end to me - I've seen loads of thing like this for about £100 - £150 in England and this one doesn't look in very good condition either!

4. well I was pretty sure until now, I just saw the headstock :oops: I thought it was an SB1000 (you know the bass that Rudy Sarzo, John Taylor and Cliff Burton used to play). Except for the headstock it looks exactly the same, the pickup is the same, it's neckthrough, the inlays are the same etc. It's just the headstock. From what I know this should be a High end bass, I mean it's so identical to the SB series, too bad I don't have a good pic of one.........

5. Bruce Lindfield

I don't know anything about the players you mention really apart from Taylor - you mean in Duran Duran? Yes that bass was more "high-end", with a 2 X 2 headstock - they looked very different!

But the shops in England have been full of Aria basses like this, for the last 20 years or so and they're invariably not that expensive.

6. I own a Aria pro II sb1000 (like taylors and the others) and it looks exactly like this one, except for the headstock, which is 2x2. To me this one indeed looks like a sb1000 because if you look at the knob next to the output-jack, theres small dots anround it which means it has a preamp with 6 different preshaped eq. The other two knobs are tone and vol. and the switch is for active or passive output. I don't know about the headstock though (and I don't like it either!). Mayby its an early model or something.
    I don't play mine that often, but I still think its one of the best basses around and I would never sell it.
    I should say that if the bass has the active eq. it must be some sort of high-end Aria. I too have seen many of the low-end ones, but they are all without the eq thingy.

If you can get it for $150 and its the real mccoy (ask about the eq), go for it! Only thing is that the string spacing is so narrow at the bridge, that its hard to slap! On the other hand this gives excelent playability for fingerstyle!! :)

Lars

7. Bruce Lindfield

Well - all the ones I've seen including Taylor's had darker body wings which emphasised the fact that they were neck-though - like this :

[​IMG]

or this one on BunnyBass :

[​IMG]

Now that's what I call "high-end"!

8. according to the Aria homepage the SB series where produced from 1978 till 1994 or something like that (maybe that they still make 'em today don't know). This bass probably is an older model of the SB basses, I like the newer ones with the 2x2 headstock better, but I still think that it looks like a nice bass. I totaly agree with Carl-anton, ask about the eq, and if it's real then you'll have a great deal....

(btw. Rudy Sarzo played in Whitesnake, Cliff Burton in Metallica en John Taylor is indeed from Duran Duran, don't know much about any of 'em, I only know that they used to play the SB bass out of my "The Bass Book".)

9. :cool: Bruce, you just posted a pic of my beauty! I got an Aria just like the red one - can't belive I keep it in a case!!:eek: Personally I think this is one of the most beautiful bass-shapes ever cut. Looks like a fine gal!

Only problem is that the active electronics blew some years ago, so I just got a simple homemade pre-amp installed instead. Mayby I should try to put a decent high-end preamp onboard instead! Any suggestions?

10. I'm sure it's worth every cent of the $150 it's going for. It might not be a thousand dollar bass, but it's probably worth at least a few hundred.

I know next to nothing about Aria basses, but if I had $150 to blow, I might be tempted to blow it on that.

11. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    That one indeed looks like an SB1000 model Aria Pro II bass. (Or, at least an equally high-end model in the Pro II line.)

Aria Pro II headstocks were the classic "inline 4" design for awhile there in the beginning (late 70's). Even up until the very early 80's in fact. I remember when I bought my TSB-400 back in 1982 I was hoping for one just like a friend of mine which featured that kind of headstock, but when mine arrived from the factory, it was the now-familiar 2x2 style.

Interestingly, there is currently a TSB-400 up for auction on eBay with the original inline 4 headstock.

At any rate, the bass you are asking about looks like an absolute STEAL! I say definitely "Go For It!"

--Winston TK
    (ardent Aria Pro II user and fan.)

12. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Upon looking at your pic and original post again, that bass is indeed an RSB model.

However, judging by the fact that the headstock is identical to the other models of the period (SB line, TSB line, etc.), I would imagine the quality of construction and tone should be excellent. Aria Pro II really knew what they were doing in those days. (More recently constructed RSB models, however, were far inferior instruments, in my opinion. Way too light and extremely cheap feeling.)

The only real flaw that is noticeable is the missing truss rod plate on the headstock (that normally features the model number).

Good luck with the soul-searching!

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Got confirmation from the guy, and he sended me pic of the electronics. Seems like it'd have two(!) 9v batteries in it. 18v system, on bass this old? I'm going to place bid with maximum of 200 bucks for it, but it's going next friday. I just hope no-one else catches what bass this is.

Here's a pic of the electronics, if this link works:

[​IMG]

edit: OK, the pic prolly won't work. I'll try to attach one.

14. If you do get the this bass let us know how it sounds and plays, I'm quite curious.....

15. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    18v electronics in a bass that old?

You better believe it! Don't forget, Aria Pro II was ahead of their time. Great designs and features. Too bad they couldn't keep it up.

Best of luck with that auction.

16. It's definetly the right stuff. My Aria uses two 9-volts batteries as well (and eats them in about half a year. Not very efficient!)

I wish you luck - and hope no one from this board is wanting it as well!:D

Lars

17. Winston TK

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Hey, Tsal.

So, are you now the proud owner of this Aria Pro II bass? The suspense is killing me!

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ah, I mislooked at the calendar, it's going today.
    I should know in about 10 hours after this post, but then again I just blew my extra cash on Korg Pandora. I have to check it just before it's about to go to see how high's the bid.

19. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
  20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    ..And so I decided to pass on this one. I thought about it, and I came to decision that all that I need for now is my Kingsy. And my Korg Pandora. And my TNT-130. So, I decided to be a happy little lark for a while :D