1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this bass? And upgrade questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EADGCoffee, May 16, 2011.

1. EADGCoffee

EADGCoffee

Apr 18, 2011
    I have this 30" scale Fender-looking thing. I think it's made of plywood. It was in my grandma's attic and it was my dad's, probably from the 70s. It actually sounds really good... here are some pics:
    IMG_0424.
    IMG_0422.
    IMG_0423.
    IMG_0425.
    IMG_0428.

I have some questions...

Can I install a different bridge? I don't know about the on that's on there, seems kind of sketch.

It needs a new nut, besides getting one that is the proper measurements, do I need a certain kind?

I like 45-105 strings on a 34" scale. Which strings should I get for this?

Will any knobs work?

The electronics work, but it needs a new jack. What should I get?

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Kingston(Tesico out of Japan) Don't touch it.

G

3. Yea I wouldn't modify it at all. Id bring it to a good tech and get it setup, have him make a new nut if needed and make sure all the electonics work. But I wouldn't take anything off or put anything on it.

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    That model comes up pretty frequently as a no-brander... Made in Japan in the mid-'60s, perhaps by Teisco, and imported as Cameo at least, probably some other names too.

It's not a bass that bears or warrants upgrading to any extent. Better keep it close to the original and just repair whatever doesn't work.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    That is your basic firewood bass.

I have doubt that it you label it as "Vintage MIJ" someone will give you $400 bucks for it. It's that kind of zany market right now.

6. EADGCoffee

EADGCoffee

Apr 18, 2011
    Thanks for the help guys.

It's a shame since I'd like to switch the bridge out. The design it has going for it right now is just... ugh. But, what really attracted me to this bass was the quality of the neck for such a cheap instrument. It feels nice and is solid (more-so than the guitar's body) and has the cool white binding.

Either way, I have an Ibanez Mikro for a shortscale so I'm not really hurting for one, but I thought it would have been cool to make this thing a bit more manageable. I'll have to see about having a tech look it over... I might just hang it on the wall. I can't just chuck it.

7. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Personally, I don't see the harm in modding this at all. These basses are not worth more than $150-200 at most, so it is not as if there is any great collectible value to lose. I say mod it to make it play as well as it can, getting advice from tech about suitable bridge etc. Since the bass is meant to vaguely resemble a Mustang and string spacing is probably very similar, a Mustang type bridge might work well.

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The best idea so far is to hang it on a wall as a decoration. Putting any money at all into an instrument like this is like throwing money into the fireplace.

9. Lazerrus

Lazerrus

Dec 18, 2010
    Ummm is it just me or does that headstock look like it's plywood? Very cool old gem that would look killer hanging above a stone fireplace like Granpa's old shotgun:D