1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this bass-like instrument?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by brans, Jan 14, 2021.

1. brans

brans

Apr 28, 2008
    Hi all,

Long time lurker, very infrequent poster. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post something like this, but with the knowledge base on this site I figured that someone might have some insight.

While in the depths of Youtube's recommendation algorithm, I stumbled across a Mandalorian theme song cover. In it, the artist is using some sort of bowed, upright stringed instrument to cover the bass register, except it's a tiny little baby instrument compared to a typical upright bass.

I am by no means a folk instrument expert, but am very interested in what it could be, so I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, the video contains lots of cuts, so it's only shown briefly throughout the video. It appears at 0:53, 0:58, 1:03, 1:09, 1:16, and later on, but all from the same angle.

Thanks in advance.

westrock likes this.
  2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

After a bit of searching I believe she is playing some traditional Ukrainian instruments, and that would be a basolia, which is essentially a crude cello. One of the other instruments she is playing appears to be a tsymbaly. I originally thought they were traditional oriental instruments, but there are many comments for her video written in Cyrillic, which got me thinking, Russian, Siberian, and finally, Ukrainian. Bingo!

3. brans

brans

Apr 28, 2008
    Awesome catch! Thanks very much for your help.

Wasnex likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021