Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is this bass likely to fetch?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AttackDonut, Mar 2, 2005.

1. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    Greetings gang,

Some time ago, I posted a few questions on a bass played by one of my favourite bands of all time (Celtic Frost), during their To Mega Therion days, they had a session(?) bassist named Dominic Steiner, and he played a Kramer aluminum necked bass.

I've uploaded a pic of it, but here is the link in case the pic doesn't show:

http://www.lucifuge.de/grafik/musica/celticfrost/member/DOMINIC-TMT.jpg

In any case, from those I have talked with, this bass is very rare, either unpopular, or just not mass produced.

I've not found one for sale, until now, it's on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7303817381&rd=1

I'd dearly love to have it, but I'm curious what you guys (and gals) think the price might go up to, in other words, is 700$ within reason, or is it likely to fetch over a grand when done?

Two asides:

If anyone has one they wish to part with (or know where I can get my hands on one) please let me know,

and two:

Yeah I don't like the wood tone, would I be destroying a vintage piece of history by having it repainted (if such a thing is possible) or would I be better off leaving it as it is. It's already been made fretless, does that damage it's intrinic value?

Thanks for putting up with my questions.

Attached Files:

2. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    The fretless part may take away some of its value.

I would be suspicious of any seller (or buyer) that has zero feedback (and only a member of ebay for 10 days).

Other than that - if you want the bass - put in your max bid - if you get it great.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I would wait unless you are wanting a fretless. Keep watching ebay and I'm sure another one will turn up. Also I would never buy anything from a 0 feedback eBay seller.

4. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    He's moving to the UK, and selling all his gear, which strikes me as odd.

I've been looking for one of these for 2 years now, and this is the only one I've seen so far...

I have no (real) issues dealing with 0 feedback sellers, after all, if *no one* dealt with them, then nothing would ever get sold!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As a fretless, you need to watch out for those large inlays. Tone will change as you fret over them.

6. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    thanks for the heads up, and to the other person about the sound change.

I'm double checking my thoughts on this bass, but you know what Oscar Wilde said about temptation right?

7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Anyone else think that guys perm is awesome? :bag:

8. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    Or is that an expensive "add-on"?

9. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I'd pass on that one for the seller with no feedback and fretless with block inlays issue. Check out all the bass stores online, I see them from time to time.

10. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
  11. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Hi, the keyboard player I work with has one. I don't think he's selling it but the comment I would make is that it weighs a ton. Must be that lead aluminum blend or something.

12. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    I didn't know they still made the aluminium neck jobs, interesting site (a work still in progress to be sure)

I figured the bass was very heavy, for all the metal in it.

Dunno if the attitude or the hair comes with the bass, I'm guessing not ;-) I'll have to generate my own.

I still have a few days to think about it, but with all the good comments here, I'll probably pass on it.

To those who have friends with one, find out if they want to sell it, I want to buy!

13. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Ed Roman will sell you this one
    [​IMG]

14. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I had one way back in 79 or 80. It weighed fourteen pounds.

[​IMG]

I think I weighed fourteen pounds, too.

15. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I've got one of these. Not the exact same model, but pretty close. Mines a DMZ5000, that one appears to be an XL9.

http://www.vintagekramer.com/alum.htm

Not interested in selling mine.

Yes they are pretty heavy, but within the range of normal basses.

They do have neck dive issues.

They do have excellent tone.

The neck is pretty narrow, with normal front-to-back thickness. Maybe just a little on the thick side, about like a P-Bass.

There is no truss rod, so relief adjustment is very difficult to impossible. There's a few shops in the country that do work on old Steinbergers with no truss rod, so they may be able to work on these as well. It's never been an issue for me. I've never really checked it, but I'd guess mine is perfectly flat, judging from the action you can dial in on it (pretty low). I can't imagine aluminum warping unless you drop it in a furnace or something, so not having a truss rod would only be a problem if you prefer a lot of relief in your neck.

The fingerboard is phenolic (Kramer called it "ebonol"), very hard stuff, so tone difference due to the inlays may not be an issue.

The neck can feel cold in your hand if the bass sits in air conditioning or cold outdoor weather for a while. Not like Ice cube cold, just kinda cool. Never really bothered me, just kinda odd. It does warm up from your touch fairly quick.

I've heard some folks claim that they had tuning problems because the aluminum expands and contracts with temperature. Well, to some degree that's a problem with just about any bass; wooden necks expand and contract, too. It's never really been any worse with my Kramer than with my P-Bass. Even my Modulus will change tuning a little bit if you go from 110 degrees in the back of a truck to a 70 degree air conditioned club; the neck probably doesn't move at all, but the strings themselves will. So it's always a good idea to give any bass some time to get to stage temperature and check tuning before the gig starts.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Mine was the DMZ-6000B.

A name like a spaceship, eh?

17. AttackDonut

AttackDonut

Jun 29, 2003
    Your sig says rather unkind things about this guy, are you trying to pull a fast one, or simply stating that he has this bass for sale?

18. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I sense an Ed Roman Bashing Thread Hijack on the horizon...

19. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I have the 8-string version of this bass in Walnut. Yoou don't see too many of these in an 8 configuration.

R

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    AttackDonut, did you get my PM?