1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeepsk8, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Any idea what this is? I was thinking the body resembles a Fernandes but the headstock doesn't. 2015033095122331. 2015033095122331. 2015033095122805.

Attached Files:

2. Anyone have a clue about this thing?

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    sorry, blinded by those strings... ...the body reminds me of 80s/90s Carvin, but not that headstock, and I don't think that fretboard dot pattern, either, looks Japanese, wild guess. Headstock is similar to Jay Turser shape. Bolt on, set, or through?

jeepsk8 and NealBass like this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Oh, forget Carvin, unless the butt cutout is a mod, didn't notice that before.

5. Thanks for the reply! I haven't gone to see it, trying to figure out if it is worth my time. I would like to ID it before I decide. Besides, they want $125 for it, and I am a Jeepsk8!

6. I think it's a franken bass, the headstock definitely looks like a Turser but that body looks like a Fernandes or a knock off of one. The finger board intrigues me because of the dot placement, I can't find a Turser with that pattern. I dunno...

7. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    The headstock is similar to a JT but slightly different shaped and reversed from a JT (mirrored). My guess is that it's a no name bass from a factory in Asia, they pop up all the time in various shapes on craigslist, or that it's an otherwise cheap bass with some home modifications.

jeepsk8 likes this.
  8. I did find one JT 5 string bass with the reversed swoop on a righty but with normal dot placement. I am intrigued but not sold on the price. Those strings are hideous :(

9. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    I think $125 would be better spent elsewhere.

jeepsk8 likes this.
  10. I agree.