Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is this Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Uncletoad, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    A friend found a pretty well beat up bass for $400. It's only markings are a label that says " 'Durro' Buegeleison & Jacobson Inc. New York, New York", and another label saying "Made in Western Germany". It's Plywood, has a 42" string length, 44" back, 19 1/2" upper bout, 25 3/4" lower bout. The neck looks like it was bolted on at one point and the bolts countersunk and filled over in the heel of the neck.

Looks like it was a student bass with initials carved in it and generally unkempt look. Kind of cool vibe though. Fingerboard needs planed, soundpost looks to be in a weird spot and the bridge is missing the bottom piece of it's treble side wing. Even with horribly dead Thomastic looking strings it seems like it may sound pretty decent in spite of all that.

I'm thinking about getting it and rebuilding it. Didn't know what it was or if it was worth messing with. Any opinions?

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You've got yerself a postwar "Joe German" plywood. There's thousands of them out there, and if the neck isn't loose, spend the 4-500 dollars and have it setup correctly. The other label is the name of the company that imported the bass from W.Germany. $400 is a fine price.

These basses can sound very good, for pizz. Double check the soundpost area on the top... any sinking? There is always a little bit, but be careful if it looks like a little ski slope. There's probably a loose seam or two, but the neck joint/previous neck repairs need to be tight.

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Thanks for the reply. It seems like the top is in decent shape. It's a tad disfigured around the soundpost area but not to bad I think. All the seams are solid, neck is tight. I'm thinking that planing the fingerboard, dropping the bridge a tad, resetting the soundpost and stringing her up will give me a nice "bar band" kind of doghouse for way under a grand.