Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JeremyC, Oct 24, 2001.

1. JeremyC

JeremyC

Oct 5, 2001
    Berkeley, CA
    This bass belongs to a student of mine. Does anyone know what it is? He thought it might be an Ibanez and I thought it might be a Tune. We wrote Tune and they said it wasn't one of theirs.

Any help in identifying the maker of this bass would be appreciated.

Jeremy Cohen

2. rouge? thats what the head stock says to me it is, although there are no words on the headstock...

3. (psycologist voice on)
    tell me more about these supposed headstocks that talk to you. sounds very interesting.
    (psycologist voice off)

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    y doesnt your student know what it is?it sure does look like an ibanez to me though!

5. what's the little green thing above the bridge? maybe that could be a clue to what in the hell the thing is.

6. Jon In VA

Jon In VA

May 28, 2001
    Chesapeake, VA
    Looks like bass collection to me too, but I could be wrong...

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Looks like a Rogue to me, too. I've seen other names on these - maybe it's a Samick?

8. I change my mind, it looks like a washburn. look at that headstock, and then look at this one...

click me

9. JeremyC

JeremyC

Oct 5, 2001
    Berkeley, CA
    Well the headstock does resemble a Rogue.
    I've been searching the web for a picture of a Bass Collection instrument but haven't found one yet. From what I remember about what they look like, that's a possiblity too.

Thanks to all of you for your help, looks like we'll get to the bottom of this soon.

The owner doesn't know what it is because he bought it used and was told it was an Ibanez, which I sincerely disagree with.

If you look at the tuners, you will see that some of them are wound "the wrong way" but they are reverse tuners so they still turn the right way. This is what made me think it was a Tune because that is one of their features. The neck joint resembles the Ibanez, Tune and Rogue and maybe the Bass Collection.

The thing near the bridge is just some weird graphic, not a recognizable logo, we think it was added later.

By the way, Frankencow mentioned Matt Freeman in his signature, Matt took lessons from me for years when he was in high school (Albany High School, Albany, California).

Jeremy Cohen

10. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    That aint no rogue my friends the neck on it is way to wide for a rogue, and i dont think that its a samik either. most of the samick five stringers have the tuners set up with 4 on the left side, and 1 on the right, not 3 and 2. but, but please tell me if im wrong, because i like to soak in as much ifo as possible.
    :D another question, is bass collection a typ of bass? well, i hope my input has been useful

11. I've seen one pretty much exactly like that in a store in my home town. with no name on it. I'm pretty sure its a brand called. "Pro Axe". actaully I'm almost positive looking at that photo. They look like ibanez but arn't sort of like a cheap alternative.

12. JeremyC

JeremyC

Oct 5, 2001
    Berkeley, CA
    yes, Bass Collection is a brand, made in Japan.

I found this picture on a website which was in
    Spanish, which I can't read.

I also found a review of Tune basses by Steve Lawson (Hi, Steve, if you see this).

Steve reports in his review that Bass Collection licensed the design from Tune. That explains a lot of the similarities.

I think we may have found the answer. Any more guesses? Is that your final answer?

Thank you everyone for your help!

Jon and Cruise4 stop by for a free complimentary lesson for your answer! I live in Berkeley, California.

Jeremy Cohen

13. Damn... wish i got it right, could have gotten me a free lession.

Hey, you got any students at berkeley high school? I might know them...

(if you didnt figure it out, i live in berkeley)

14. JeremyC

JeremyC

Oct 5, 2001
    Berkeley, CA
    I currently have a lot of students at Albany High but none at Berkeley High right now. Brenden Millstein who plays sax in the BHS jazz ensemble is a friend of ours, he and some of his friends had a jazz group in jr. high which I coached.

I live in Berkeley on the Albany border. The band teacher at Albany, Mr. Lilienthal, is a friend of mine and has been referring students to me. He has totally revised the music program at Albany High. Watch out Yellowjackets.

Although Berkeley High will always have the greatest jazz band around, especially now that many of their students go to Jazz School (my wife teaches voice there). My son went to BHS, graduated in 1998, played piano in the jazz lab band freshman year.

Jeremy Cohen

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Uh, excuse me? "Headstock most oriental basses do"?! WHERE TO START?! :mad:

16. I dunno what it is

But I don't think it's a washburn

And no matter how hard it tries to be an Ibanez, it couldn't be unless you could read the logo from a mile back.

17. It's not a bass collection. Doesn't have a BC headstock, which is like a rounded arrow head. Not washburn or Ibanez either. It is one of those identikit Samicky far eastern basses that emerge under one name or another at regular intervals. Indonesian, perhaps.

18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I didn't know I had that in common with Matt Freeman!

In case anyone's wondering, I was a student of Jeremy's. Glad to see you made it here! :)

William

19. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I can help you with that, if you give me the link
    :cool:

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i think it looks like an Ibanez