1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scott.stebbins, Sep 9, 2008.

1. scott.stebbins

scott.stebbins

Sep 9, 2008
    I found this in a friends garage and I have no clue what it is. Can anyone help me out? Is it even a bass body?

Attached Files:

2. JustJeffJr.

JustJeffJr.

Aug 28, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    I would guess that it is indeed a bass based on the presence of a thumbrest.

3. Looks like some old 1960's Japanese piece of junk bass body.

4. scott.stebbins

scott.stebbins

Sep 9, 2008
    so if i put descent electronics in it and a new neck would it be worth refurbishing or would it just be a waste of time? I really like the look of it and the paint.

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I'd say go for it if you like the look of it. With enough time and money, anything can be made to play and look beautiful.

I'll second that it looks like an old Japanese body, maybe a Teisco or an old Silvertone...

6. scott.stebbins

scott.stebbins

Sep 9, 2008
    could anyone suggest a good set of pickups that would fit? I really know nothing. I play a lot of ska, jazz and reggae on a gallien krueger cab.

7. I think your going to have a hard time finding a neck to fit something like that. I mean, if you've got the energy to put something together then go for. IMO, I think you'd be wasting your time, but then again, if you complete it PM me and show us the finished product.;)

8. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    I'd also say Teisco

9. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Yup. Looks like a Teisco.

Yay!

10. Steve 1100

Steve 1100

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    This a late 60's Japanese bass, marketed under several brand names. One of the brand names was "Orpheus"..

Here is one that I recently picked up at a flea market. It plays and sounds fine. In fact, I recently used mine for a video feature..

http://vimeo.com/8719311

[​IMG]

11. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    ^ That is a great looking bass. I love it. That's going on the list of "possible shapes for my first build" which I'll be starting once I have the funds.

That's a tugbar. It's the same as a thumbrest, except it's on the bottom, not the top. You put your fingers on it and play with your thumb. Or ignore it (which is what most people do)

12. Steve 1100

Steve 1100

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    I agree, it has a good look to it. The pic is dull, but the video shows the rich color. The factory single coil pickup sounds pretty good, and the 50's Fender style bridge intonated pretty close. Original foam in the bridge cover too.

If I did want to upgrade the pickup, there would be plenty of options for sticking a modern pickup inside the metal cover.

I might have to play this bass tomorrow night..

13. [​IMG]

This bass was brought to our recent Houston TB GTG.

It has an Seymore Duncan Quarter Pounder installed in it and had great thump.Most of the guys attending the GTG really liked this bass.

Too bad the OP doesnt have the neck for it.I dont like binding on necks very much,but I personally really liked this bass:"The Pawnshop Special".

14. Steve 1100

Steve 1100

Sep 5, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Very nice!

15. Also seen these marketed as early Arias.

I'd refrain from calling them "Some piece of junk," personally.

16. If you have a non-chain music shop locally, I'd take it over and talk to the owner there. I am fortunate enough to have 2 or 3 such shops and these guys are usually guys who've been around and seen so many instruments come through their shop. I'd say it'd be your best bet in finding some help to pair an appropriate neck for it.
    And if you like it, go for it - I love picking up a bass in need of some TLC and having my way with it!
    Let us know what you end up finding out and doing with it!

Cheers, Gus

17. I wish it was mine.I'm going to have to talk my fellow TB'r out of it eventually.

18. RDY2RMBL

RDY2RMBL

Feb 8, 2007
    VA
    I had a Tempo bass guitar that looked EXACTLY like that, I had it very briefly. I bought it from a T-ber, the neck turned out to be seperating and the electronics were FUBAR haha. It certainly was an interesting bass though. You're lucky that there's nothing stock in there, it would probably either be defective or just plain shot by now. You got the prime rib right there bradda.

19. ricca

ricca

Dec 24, 2009
    Reggio Emilia ITALY
    :hyper:
    It's SHORTSCALE!
    You have to put a 32" neck on it.

20. My first bass had a body exactly like that one (as far as I can remember, t'was the mid 60's...exhale...) Japanese mfr, name on the headstock was Conrad...