Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Apr 7, 2003.

1. i bought a MIJ jazz bass locally last night. Daphne Blue, looks like it used to have a thin copper wire running from pickup to bridge, has a third strap button on the back of the headstock, also aged laquer on the neck and like an aged pickguard/mint green kind of thing. weird. what is this model? feels like a 60s reissue kind of thing. there is no serial no. on the neckplate but has the little decal at the base of the neck where it meets the body. says made in Japan and has serial no. Mxxxxxx. Fender.com says this is like 92-93 on their site. this bass seems quite a bit different to the other MIJ bass i used to have. the other one i owned had MIJ on the headstock, whereas this one has 60s style logo and no mention of Japan. any info muchos appreciated. post a pic when i can get hold of my brothers digital camera.
    cheers for you help

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It sounds most of the older MIA Fender reisuess I've run across.

3. how can it be MIA? it has MIJ on the small decal at the bass of the neck. also it doesn't feel THAT slick. now i am really confused!

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL! I said it "sounds" like. I've never seen an MIJ with the extra strap thingy on the headstock.

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Both of my "MIJ's" a p bass and a jazz have the extra strap button.
    Strangely both are 92 as well!
    There is no mention of "made in japan" on the headstock either, as with yours, just a small decal at the base of the neck with the serial number.
    Yours sounds like a 60's reissue.
    VERY nice basses - much better than anything "MIM" imho.
    :)

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    IMO i think you are correct in your hypothisis(educated guess)it is definately some type of re-issue(early 60's)judging by the extra ground running between the bridge and rear pick-up it sounds like the 60's reissue type . yea that sounds about right,and also the third strap button is actually quite common in the MIJ re-issues,must be a lovely bass . good luck and enjoy
    ps send a pic when u get one:D

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I spoke with a guy I know that used to work for Fender International in the U.K.
    He did some digging around and phoned a few people he knows.
    Seems that:

The Japanese fenders without "Japan" on the headstock are the "Top of Range" reissues.
    These were mostly intended for export to Europe and the U.S.
    They were higher quality than the other Japanese Basses, the pickups were GENUINE vintage spec U.S.A. and the bodys were in fact Alder rather than Basswood.