1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what is this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crashroom, May 23, 2003.

1. crashroom

crashroom

May 23, 2003
    portland ore
    i just bought this bass
    and do not know what is
    it is neck thru
    long scale
    ebany fret board
    stero with alen and bradly eletronics
    it takes 4 9v's
    mother of pearl oval inlay
    it has a round brass nw indan emblum
    on the head stock
    could this be a oddisy
    if you look at the reply's
    dragonbass has a pic of the head stock
    and it's not a sticker it's a brass
    inlay

2. dragonbass

dragonbass Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    ........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder..........................................................
    do you have any other pics?

body looks like a Carl Thompson. That case is not something to mess around with.

3. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    looks pretty sweet, too bad i don't know what it is sorry. But 4 9Vs, seems like overkill and i thought 2 was overkill. :confused: kinda looks like a carl thompson body to me, but don't hold me too it.

4. It looks like a mix between the bass that Les Claypool uses (im guessing he uses a Carl Thompson) and an alembic. It looks sweet tho.

5. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    ........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder..........................................................
    Pic of the Headstock.....
    Beside's the strings being strung wrong,
    I have No Idea??????

6. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    I don't know.....I have seen that style headstock before ..or at least the inlay design....
    where?
    I don't know!

how does it sound? That's what really matters!

Maybe a DP custom Basses?

7. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Pic of the back....

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Hyak
    hyak @ bunnybass

unfortunately, there's a reason it's strung that way. Bunnybass gives all the details.

9. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Yeah....

And that reason would be???????

Laziness?

Not having a Clue??? :confused:

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    not having a trussrod.
    Check the bunnybass article.

unless you're referring to the string where the silk-wrap overhangs the nut- in that case, I've seen some LaBella's that come up short like that.
    Quite a few in-stock Carvins had that problem I noticed...

at first I thought you must mean the string guage or tuning, but now I see they appear to be normal size Nylon Tapewounds. Bunnybass says this Hyak pretty much should only be set up as a piccolo

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    By the by, are those Ernie Ball flats on those?

Err, anyway...I don't know what bass it is, but I know it's one gorgeous piece of gear. With all of the frills and nice trim (inlaid brass on the headstock? All I have to say is "badass") it seems like the sound would kick a whole load of butt. How does it sound, for that matter? Have any recordings/clips with it being used?