Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crashroom, May 23, 2003.

1. crashroom

crashroom

May 23, 2003
    portland ore
    i just bought this bass
    and do not know what is
    it is neck thru
    long scale
    ebany fret board
    stero with alen and bradly eletronics
    it takes 4 9v's
    mother of pearl oval inlay
    it has a round brass nw indan emblum
    on the head stock
    could this be a oddisy
    if you look at the reply's
    dragonbass has a pic of the head stock
    and it's not a sticker it's a brass
    inlay

2. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    do you have any other pics?

body looks like a Carl Thompson. That case is not something to mess around with.

3. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    looks pretty sweet, too bad i don't know what it is sorry. But 4 9Vs, seems like overkill and i thought 2 was overkill. :confused: kinda looks like a carl thompson body to me, but don't hold me too it.

4. It looks like a mix between the bass that Les Claypool uses (im guessing he uses a Carl Thompson) and an alembic. It looks sweet tho.

5. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Pic of the Headstock.....
    Beside's the strings being strung wrong,
    I have No Idea??????

6. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    I don't know.....I have seen that style headstock before ..or at least the inlay design....
    where?
    I don't know!

how does it sound? That's what really matters!

Maybe a DP custom Basses?

7. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Pic of the back....

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Hyak
    hyak @ bunnybass

unfortunately, there's a reason it's strung that way. Bunnybass gives all the details.

9. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Yeah....

And that reason would be???????

Laziness?

Not having a Clue??? :confused:

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    not having a trussrod.
    Check the bunnybass article.

unless you're referring to the string where the silk-wrap overhangs the nut- in that case, I've seen some LaBella's that come up short like that.
    Quite a few in-stock Carvins had that problem I noticed...

at first I thought you must mean the string guage or tuning, but now I see they appear to be normal size Nylon Tapewounds. Bunnybass says this Hyak pretty much should only be set up as a piccolo

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    By the by, are those Ernie Ball flats on those?

Err, anyway...I don't know what bass it is, but I know it's one gorgeous piece of gear. With all of the frills and nice trim (inlaid brass on the headstock? All I have to say is "badass") it seems like the sound would kick a whole load of butt. How does it sound, for that matter? Have any recordings/clips with it being used?