1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this blue Samick called? Buying used.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Narrie, May 17, 2011.

1. Narrie

Narrie

May 17, 2011
    Hi,

I'm brand new to the bass-world and looking forward to learn to play the electric bass.

Last friday, I shipped my Epiphone SG guitar in exchange for a Samick bass. I don't know what it's worth, only that it's been used for recording a little while.

Can somebody identify the bass please? I see the two picks are very close together, is that common and what does it mean?

Image codes: Saga Instrumenter 086

It's high quality. If you download, it's great to being zoomed at. :)

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Looks like another generic ernieball music man stingray copy. They don't have the 3 + 1 headstock because it is patented by ernieball though. Is it passive or active? Does it come with the case or not? Bass looks new and if you got it for an epiphone guitar you would have trouble getting 250USD for I'd say you did Ok. Samick basses are usually hit or miss on quality control. If it were mine and it played well and I decided I was going to pursue the electric bass for a while I'd change the pickup and the pre after a couple of years (If the body was solid wood not plywood)...

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    It's Samick's PMB-175 model (not that it means anything). As said, more or less a copy of a MusicMan Stingray, and looks not too shabbily made on the face of it. There's actually only the one big pickup, with two coils and a double row of pole pieces. The Stingray sound is well established in the bass world and is due to 1) pickup construction 2) pickup placement, and 3) the onboard pre-amplifier, which in this case has 3 EQ bands.

Not a bad starter bass, as long as the neck is true and the electronics work (you'll need a 9V battery).

4. Narrie

Narrie

May 17, 2011
    Thank you guys for some great replys.

I'm actually not sure if it comes with the hard-case. It had not arrived yet. I guess he hasd packed it quite well because it's being shipped from da north to da south-side. :)

Thank for figuring out the model, I have searched the entire web for it.

I don't have any amp yet. Any recommendations? I don't even wanna try plug it in my Line 6 for electric guitars. The tones are probably so low and deep which will gradually destroy it. Am I right?