1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is this cable called?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jellejanssen, Dec 8, 2013.

  1. Hey people!

    Could someone please tell me what the name is of the cable that goes from my amp to my guitar? Is called a jack cable?

    Thank you!
  2. corinpills


    Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
  3. FerK

    FerK Supporting Member

    Dec 11, 2011
    Instrument cable
  4. walterw

    walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 20, 2009
    yeah, "instrument" cable or "guitar" cable or "quarter-inch signal" cable.

    i never call it a "guitar cord", or people will think i'm talking about a C#m7th!
  5. Kmonk


    Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    Instrument cable. If you use cables to connect to a Mac, they are called Apple Jacks.
  6. +100 :)

    That, or just ask it. Maybe it has a preference?
  7. Phalex

    Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

    Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It may be better known as a "lead" in the OP's neck of the woods.
  8. Space Pickle

    Space Pickle

    Apr 15, 2013
    I usually call it a patch cord.
  9. wild4oldcars


    Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    usually just call it a quarter inch-quarter inch. makes sense if I have to actually call it something in some context, to distinguish between xlr's and quarter-xlr's and midi cables, plus whatever else we have going on.
  10. David Hayes

    David Hayes Guest

    Yeah, but lots of speaker cables are also 1/4"-1/4".

    If the OP is trying to figure out what to ask for at the music store or what to look for at an online store, the correct answer is instrument cable.
  11. Phalex

    Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

    Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    If you can't even buy a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in the Netherlands, why on earth would they have a 1/4 inch cable? :bag:

    I'm kidding.......

  12. 1/4 instrument cable - to differentiate it from a 1/4 speaker cable. They look the same but are designed to do different tasks and are not interchangeable.
  13. David Hayes

    David Hayes Guest

    You definitely can buy a Quarter Pounder w/Cheese in The Netherlands. :)
  14. Phalex

    Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

    Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have it on god authority that its a Royale wit Cheese.....

    I suppose next you'll tell me the Dutch don't drown their fries in mayonnaise.........
  15. SirMjac28

    SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

    Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Not to get off topic but has anyone heard of this crazy Lindsay Lohan girl she seem to love trouble wow what a crazy girl.
  16. P Town

    P Town

    Dec 7, 2011
    6.35 mm to 6.35 mm tip/ring instrument cable?
    TR connectors are also called "1/4 inch phone" connectors.
    Instrument cable is "shielded cable".
  17. David Hayes

    David Hayes Guest

    They definitely call it that in France. I don't recall what they call it in The Netherlands. Thanks to spending lots of time there, I now eat my fries (Frites) with Mayo.

    BTW, I knew you were joking. Mostly. :)
  18. Phalex

    Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

    Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
  19. BawanaRik


    Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Either that or the car
  20. BAce


    Jul 31, 2012
    I call mine a wireless rig :)