1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this cable???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Andrew.Glose, Sep 17, 2008.

1. I've got a Y cable:

On one end it's a 1/4" headphone jack.

On the other, there are two RCA looking connectors. One is yellow and one is black.

What do I have???

Thanks...

Andrew

2. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    Audio cable?

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    +1

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You have the kind of cable used to plug any kind of music/audio player to any amplification system that uses RCA (red and white for left and right channels) input.

For example this was used back in the day when home stereos didnt come with a cd player so you could plug a walkman or whatever to be able to listen to your cd music through your home stereo.

5. Sounds like you've got a 1/4" phone plug to RCA cable on your hands. The RCA end colors are weird—makes me think you've got a cable that was meant to carry composite video and mono audio—but it's all the same metal inside, so you can use it for whatever.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, that's probably it.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    That's what I was thinking. Hence the yellow. But it could still be used for audio.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Now you can plug your iPod into that big gaudy Realistic brand stereo receiver at you grandma's house and play it through those ginormous speakers with the brown tweed covers on them.

You know, the speakers that have the water mark circles etched into the top after too many people left glasses of cold soda sitting on top of them on a hot day.

-Mike

9. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    yeah that sounds about right