1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what is this copper thingy on my jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleafan, Mar 24, 2001.

  1. does any one know what that "flat copper looking line" does comming from the bottom of my Fender Jazz Pickup to my string holster?
  2. air_leech


    Sep 1, 2000
    String holster?!...nevermind

    my guess is that this copper foil strip is supposed for grounding purposes.
    porbably to prevent static clips when you touch the string everytime.
  3. DanGouge


    May 25, 2000
    That's exactly what it's for. (I've got the copper strip on mine too!) ;)
  4. oooh!

    what is it called ("string holster") i was never told the actual name?
  5. DanGouge


    May 25, 2000
    That would be the bridge :)
  6. Angus

    Angus Supporting Member

    Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, string holster.

    Is that like calling a garage a car hold?
  7. Craig H

    Craig H

    Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    What model Jazz bass do you have? Generally, the external grounding strip is considered "vintage". The set of Custom Shop '60s pickups I just installed has that strip.
  8. gfab333


    Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Also, the Fender Vintage reissue jazz and the early Squire Jazz basses had the metal strip between the bridge PU and the bridge (string saddle base plate / string holster).

Share This Page