What is this disease I've caught?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JDHolmes, Feb 17, 2010.

1. JDHolmes

JDHolmes

Jan 6, 2010
    I've barely been playing for two months (not even that) and as one might expect, I really suck. I bought a Schecter Omen extreme 5 as my first to learn on, having fallen in love with the sound and feel of it at GC. I'm enjoying the experience but have no visions of anything other than entertaining myself.

However, (and the point of the post) I'm wondering what this disease is that I've caught. I just bought my fourth bass. Why?

Learning on the five, i thought a four might be easier and was originally after an Ibanez SX300 so I found a pretty good one and bought it. Followed by a great deal on a Yamaha RBX170 that came with another amp and stuff. I just bought a new Schecter Studio 4.

Help me PLEASE!!! How do I stop?

2. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Welcome to the world of Gear acquisition syndrome, also known as G.A.S.
    How to stop is simple. Actually stopping is hard.
    Just stop buying equipment you don't need. In your case, stop buying things. Sell what superfluous gear you've acquired and hit the woodshed.
    Less ebay, more melbay. Babay. :bassist:

3. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    you can't actually stop. you can keep it at bay for a while but that is about it

4. SJLee

SJLee Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    You have what is officially called GAS my friend.

5. Yep. Welcome to the GAS world. I took me a year and a half of acquiring and releasing basses until I found what I like. So between the ones I have and the ones that are on order, I'm happy to say my bass GAS is relieved.

Now I'm on amps...:bawl:

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Start by cutting your credit card in half. Get rid of the debit card too.

Or do like I do and stay the heck out of the Basses forum.

Avoid the Amps forum too. :cool:

7. Because buying new gear makes you play better!!!! :)
    No one will take you seriously as a player UNLESS you have a complete new rig at every gig and swap from 4 to 5 to 6 string every 2nd gig
    Thats the only way i have justified buying gear after 35 years of playing.......gotta go now...must look at new Eden Neos and...TC Electronics Cabs......ohh look.....Sadowsky 5 string for sale..........

8. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009

Good advice.

Although, the luthiers corner and amp builds are more potent to me, at least. :bag:

9. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Quit your job. The reason I've never had a problem (ok, I did for a while) with GAS is I didn't have the cash flow to support it.

10. Yenko

Yenko

Oct 30, 2009
    Columbia, MD
    Get married.

11. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Get married to the WRONG person...

12. +1:eyebrow:

13. jaymag_87

jaymag_87

Feb 11, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    I think Nomad's idea is more correct.

Taking up the bass, at this time in my life, was actually my beautiful wife's idea.

I had been talking about it for several years...you know...how I should have taken it up in high school or college...how when in high school band, a student teacher tried to teach me the double bass...and I blew him off...and how I should have taken it serious...just think, how good would I be if...heck, I'm a tuba player for Pete's sake...you know. That kind of stuff.

She told me I should do it and then gave me the financial permission to execute the plan and do it. She's awesome.:bassist:

14. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    4 basses in two months is impressive. I'm about to pick up my 3rd in a year and I thought I had it bad.

15. Why do you want to stop? If you dig basses and can afford the hobby, then collect them. But I suggest that you give some thought as to what attracts you to an instrument - perhaps a little more time playing will help you figure out what you like and don't like. I was lucky that there was a great used instrument market when I started out (Thoroughbred Music in Tampa in the middle/late 70s) and it was possible to get good used instruments and reasonable trade in value, so there wasn't a whole lot of risk in buying instruments and trading them in for something else later. I tried out a number of instruments and learned a lot about that I liked and didn't like.

Alternatively, if you want to buy basses as collector's items, then read up on what makes a good collector's bass and hunt around for that - that could be a fun hobby in itself.

In any event, you cannot avoid the GAS - the best you can do is to roll with it.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021