Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is this effect? Sound clip!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mksolid, Aug 15, 2005.

1. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    If I post a sound clip can you guys tell me what the effect is? I am thinking it is either an Akai Deep Impact or a Lovetone Meatball? Care to differentiate and tell me why?

I will add it here as soon as I get a response.

2. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    n/m the response, im preparing the song as we speak

3. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
  4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sorry dude, gonna have to find another way to host that.

5. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
  6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Sounds like the Deep Impact to me. A better qustion is: who's playing it? That's an interesting 'Antelope' there...I can hear Mike playing cleanly...makes me think another bass player is sitting in (PFunk on NYE?)...or Page is getting super freaky on the keys? What's the date of that one?

7. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    4-3-98 Nassau Coliseum. No one is sitting in. That's just Phish..playing the infamous Island Tour. If you're not familiar the Island Tour was a 4 show run that took place around when they were recording Story of a Ghost. They didn't play live for awhile and got antsy and booked 4 shows.. 2 at Nassau on Long Island and 2 at Providence in Rhode Island... they were def. at a creative peak at that time.

8. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    oh forgot to add this in. It is def. Mike then on the bass... I saw a list of his pedals somewhere and they said he had the Meatball AND the Akai Deep Impact... so I was wondering which it could be coming from...

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i would say its almost definately a deep impact, not sure what setting but it sounds like the decay rate is up a bit. this must be the first occasion that i can think of where the deep impact might actually be the CHEAPER option between these two pedals!

10. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    thanks a lot. yeah i've been on the fence about this for awhile... because i've been pushing myself to buy a meatball the closer and closer they get to being out of production, but I would have to sell two pedals and I already have a great envelope filter (Pigtronix). So I guess it wouldn't be so bad to just find an Akai somewhere for 200-300 less.

11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I wanted to listen again but your link is dead. I swear I heard Mike playing cleanly 'in the background'. To me it sounded like the Deep Impact was going on at the same time as 'clean bass'? which doesn't make much sense. Anyhow, I looked it up and found an interesting tidbit to that show...

A guy jumped on stage during last part of Loving Cup and back in the crowd before Pete Carini could catch him. Trey/Fish then said during beginning of Antelope, "You can try to come on stage,
    but don't get caught by Carini!", Antelope then rocked to a glowstick war.

12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Oops. I was checking the wrong one, hehe. I just listened again... it sounds really weird. It sounds normal very early on but then it's like some notes don't 'trigger' or the DI is set only to trigger the deeper stuff? The thing throwing me off is when he plays a little lick high up the neck - only half of the notes get 'affected'. Must just be his settings...

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    well the DI does have note on/note off controls... i have the DI but must admit that i am no expert at its controls, but perhaps this is something worth considering. its possible that he is using some kind of frequency pass filter or crossover such that only a certain range of notes are going to the DI, other others are clean. there is something going on with the attack though, i think the decay rate is up.

just a side note, as far as im aware the meatball is already out of production, though you can find a few on ebay fairly regularly, but not cheaply. also you might not find a deep impact for 200-300 unless you are lucky.