What is this for? SVT question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davelowell, Feb 3, 2004.

1. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    Why does this SVT have the two inputs connected? Has this amp been modded to accept this? And what is it good for? Not war!

Thanks for all the help in advance.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    one is active and one is passive.
    or you can just plug two into it at a time also.
  3. its a trap to prevent unwanted people touching your amp, plug into the wrong input and Kaboom.
  4. It's a 2 channel amp. Two basses plugged in simultaneously; one in each channel.
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It's called linking the channels, for more tonal versatility. I do the same with my bassman.
  6. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    But it looks like both channels are into each other? Where do you plug in your bass?
  7. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    I could never understand the proper function of multi-channels on old
    amps either- If you were plugged in like this-and ran through only 1
    cab-how would it spit the signal?
    Do you need to split the signal going into the bass w/ a stereo pedal, or
    some kind of splitter cable?
    If someone was to run 2 basses at once through 1 amp, wouldn't the
    pushing/pulling from 2 sources be hell on the speakers?
  8. Dave, I replied to quickly earlier. I assumed two instruments were being plugged up. The pic was too dark for me to see that it was a short cable combining the two channels.

The pic shows that the channel 1 "normal" and channel 2 "bright" are being combined. Perhaps this works, I don't know. If it does I suppose it would be blending the two pre-amp signals into one and then sending that signal to the power amp. I would assume that the bass would be plugged into one of the remaining available inputs. In this case either channel 1's "bright" or channel 2's "normal".

Maybe PBG will chime in; he probably knows.
  9. The idea (in this case) is not to split the signal. The idea is to combine the pre-amp channels.

Also, I believe this amp is capable of putting out one mono signal regardless of how many basses are plugged in or how many cabinets it's running.
  10. I use a mono Y-cable with two male ends and one female end to combine channels on my vintage svt. I don't see how that other method would work or what the point of doing it that way would be. Maybe I will give it a try...
  11. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    svtca, why? just very curious, what kind of sounds are different than using just one channel?

12. It probably doesn't make that much of a difference but I do find subtle differences in tone by mixing the two channels. Channel Two is driven by a single 12AX7 if I am not mistaken and I have found I really like the tone of an Amperex Bugle Boy in there. I find that I find Channel One to be better for Bass and Midrange and use Channel Two more for its Treble response and mix the two depending on volume. Like I've already said its kind of a subtle difference but if you have the two channels you might as well use them.
  13. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    You guys don't hang around many guitar players that use old marshalls, huh? :D

It's called channel linking or channel jumping. Using a patch cord like that guy did does the same exact thing as using a Y-cable to plug into both channels. I've never tried it myself, but I have run my Rick in stereo a few times using both channels.
  14. What Rickenbacker man said...

I've never had the need to combine channels. I get plenty of overdrive just by normal playing. Linking the channels gives you two preamp sources feeding the single power amp, effectively doubling your input gain and giving you the ability to use the EQ of each channel to have different sounds than you could get with only a single channel.