What is this for?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Not shure if this goes hear but move me if it doesn't. I stool the pick from another thread.

Heres my question:
    Whats this bass for? What Style of music needs that many strings? Where do I buy those other strings? And wouldn't you just need one of these basses?

If it sounds like I'm bashing this bass or the people who have it, I'm not just wanting to know.
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The bass from my thread about intonation. ;)

Well, strictly from a technique standpoint, that bass can be used for extended chording, melodies, harmonies, doubling octaves for lines, different open tunings possibly, soloing, full range tapping, etc. In the end, that stuff can be done on any other bass as well, its just a matter of how you do it.

A bass with 9 strings can be used for pretty much anything that the owner wants to use it for. JT uses his 7 string double neck for progressive rock. Thats 14 strings, used sometimes on just one song. I know of a few six+ string players that play Bach Cello Suites and Concertos. I know of 6 stringers that play in straight ahead rock bands. Its all about what you want to use it for.

The strings can be bought custom made from a few companies, and a select few might carry them. Very few, if they do.

You might only need that one bass, but what if the next night after a prog rock gig where you use every note on every string of that 9 string, you have a root 5 country gig? You'd still want to take that 9 string? ;)
  3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    ummm... to play. :bassist:

and what nick said:oops:
  4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Someone with big hands.
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    It's for ME!!!!!!!!!

Actually I'm trying to find a way to get Jean Baudin to sell me his Pacman 9 string since Bill Conklin's building him a 10 string!!

6. That's a dumb question, Its for fighting!

sorry about the dumb question thing, it was a joke (kind of like my response)