1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is this Gibson EB-0 worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Simon Langley, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    :confused: I am going to be helping a friend of mine sell his 1969 Gibson EB-0 bass and am curious as to what it is worth. I will be adding pictures as soon as I can but the physical description is as follows:

*1969 Gibson EB-0 bass
    *serial number dates it to 1966 or 1969
    *original cts pots date it to 1969
    *original two point bridge with cover and mute (cover and mute not currently installed)
    *pickup has been changed to dimarzio model one but original pickup still included
    *additional mini coil cut switch added
    *a lot of wear, nicks and chips but still bright cherry finish that has not faded much
    *headstock and neck joint solid with no breaks or repairs
    *original case beat up but all latches and hinges work perfectly
    *not sure if he still has the finger rest or not (not currently installed)

Like I said I will be adding pictures this evening but I wanted to get the ball rolling as soon as possible. Please let me know what you think it is worth and if there is any other information I should include or questions you might have.:help:

2. I have one of these, it was my grandfathers.
    I'll never sell it.
    I had it apraised once, it was worth alot - I dont remember how much.

I'll find out and post a picture or two and let you know

3. dont sell it.... thats my answer..

4. buy it from him - unless you dont really like it. Its a very cool bass.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    If it was all original.
    In the $1500.00 to $1800.00 range.
    They are great basses.

I have a 1966-EBO.
    Love that mud-bucket tone.

robinunit likes this.
  6. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    I am thinking of buying it from him but I want to make sure he gets a fair price regardless. I have been looking at eBay but I know that can be unreliable at best. Prices really seem to vary depending on year and condiition. Let me know what you think.

7. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    $600 - $1000 (if it was early 60's then three times that)

A 1970 model sold on eBay recent for $995. Sounds like your friends is is worse shape (sorry has more Mojo!) than that one.

8. Damn it... I have this friend of mine selling a very early 60's EB-0 for less than $500... The bass sounds amazing, I need to get the cash!

9. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *Where is he selling it? It is worth more than the one I am selling. Maybe I'll buy it instead!

10. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    don't want to rain on the proverbial parade of praise for the god-awful EB0 but, man, that was the second bass I owned somewhere back in the late 60's (about 68 I think). I HATED that bass, thuddy undefined sound, no sustain, horrible intonation, and that was on a good day.

Crazy to me that someone would pay big $$ for it just because it's "vintage", but I guess thats an old discussion here on TB.

collectors vs players

oh, and I have no idea of it's worth .. sorry for the hijack.

:bag:

11. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    I agree with everything you said but for me there are two reasons that I would be interested in this bass. Number one is that it is a lot of fun to play. The short scale,super fast neck and body style make it very comfortable to play. The other reason is that because of its muddy, undefined tone it sounds like nothing else in my arsenal. It gives me another option and tone flavor.

*One man's trash is another's treasure!:bassist:

12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, you probably don't have a 2 string cardboard box bass in your arsenal either but ..............

anyway .. peace on this subject, opinions will differ ;)

BTW, I did eventually find a Buster to buy

enjoy

13. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I know they've gone up in worth lately. I had a '70 and a '71. I couldn't get more than $600 for them three years ago. They were both perfect and all original. I wish I had them now :)

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1 and I was a Gibson guy for years (G3 and Rippers).

The EB-0 is not a good sounding bass IMO and has the worst pickup configuration of any Gibson including the Grabber. BTW, the Grabber sounded great, just the sliding pickup was flakey.

As far as worth? I would doubt it would go for much over $1200 unless it is really nice.

15. México City. But the problem is that he's not "so shure"...

:scowl:

He's not even a bass player and has this huge collection of vintage basses that any guy inside here would steal without a doubt. I mean... he's a freeeeeekin geetar player!

:scowl:

16. Have you ever heard the CD "Mechanical Animals" of Marilyn Manson (Ok... I know it's not the most desirable example... but who cares)... Well, it happens that this exact record has the tone I love, and the bass that was used for most of the tracks was an EB-0... It really depends on what you expect and what you want on a bass. Plus, I can see a dark star future for any EB-0... he he he he he

17. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    *Will a dark star fit right in or would there be any modification required?

*I have decided I am going to be buying this bass. He made me an offer I can't refuse and as the current owner is my mentor and teacher there is a sentimental attachment to it too. I have been interested in this bass (not in EB-0 basses but this particular bass) since I started playing. Until now he has been reluctant to sell it as it was given to him by someone who later died. This bass has history and I can't see after how many years I bugged him about it that I could pass it up now. At one point I even saved it from being converted into a baritone guitar.
    *I tried to take some pictures last night but my camera seems to be having a problem. I will take some as soon as I can and post them for those who are interested.
    *Thanks for your help and responses. I guess with EB-0 basses you either love them or you hate them:bassist:

18. Dan the Lorp

Dan the Lorp

Aug 30, 2005
    NW Florida
    Is the EB-O the short scale that Jack Bruce played, with the SG body shape---is it the long scale version? Or is it the short scale violin shaped one played by Felix Pappalardi (RIP)?

If anyone thinks it's mush with no sustain, I suggest taking a listen to anything LIVE by Mountain---but in particular the live version of Nantucket Sleighride from 'The Road Goes Ever On' album from 1972.

I saw Mountain live in late 1971 at their peak, and the bass tone by Pappalardi was the most beautiful, deep, fat, warm woodsy, tone with tremendous sustain I HAVE EVER HEARD. I think he used Sunn Amps, I don't remember---but his tone was unique and beautiful, with some overdrive on certain songs, ex. 'Never In My Life.'

19. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    EB-0 = short scale, SG-shaped, one pickup

I believe the bass you're talking about would be an EB-1.

20. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    l_b656851a5286459b50e2266d62551079.

l_6ef0d872e6b13b2b0cf07fac43e94c78.

l_c07b3b5024f08d10e6b5c663a868b83c.

l_c326c188604e439f1486105ff665ed94.