1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is this going to sound like????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbob, Apr 9, 2006.

1. metalbob

metalbob Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    I am going to add a avatar neo b212 to my current avatar delta 410 and eden xlt 2-15 powered with a Carvin b1500> And for my bass my weapon of choice is Lakland 55-02 and a schecter stilletto 8 string droped to D talk about over kill but I LIKE LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!! Peavey triple xxx what triple xxx I can't hear you

2. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    It's going to sound like crap if you don't practice. Otherwise, I think you've got "loud" covered.

3. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    it should sound like howling dogs in a blender.:ninja:

Whos army is going to move all that stuff? And what ever happened to XLR cables to the PA? I personally need to do what all the old hard rock bands of the 70's and 80's did and put a bunch of empty "decoy" cabs on stage just so I look loud.:bassist:

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Your running a 4X10, and a 2x!5 already, and you want to ad more? Ummm....ok. I bet you're the first call for anyone in your area looking for a bassist! :D

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sort of what I was thinking. I have done some outdoor gigs that have required a lot of stage volume, but never anything that two 410's wouldn't cover more than adequately.

Now, if I was to show up with even those two 410's to a gig, my soundguy would literally kick my butt. I can't imagine showing up to a gig with what this guy is talking about. Or showing up to a band audition with all that. There is overkill, and then there is OVERKILL.:)

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    The main question I would have is, are you booking entire nights with your band? Or are you going to be cutting into your band's onstage time setting all that up?

Are your mixes sounding crummy because no one can hear anything but bass?

Does your vocalist sound awful live because he can't hear himself in the monitors, even though the soundman has dialed the volume up as high as he can without feedback?

Is the resulting monitor volume going to make it impossible for said soundman to get a clear mix out front due to mic bleed?

I'm all in favor of loud, and look forward to gigs where I have to borrow a power amp and bring extra cabs for my bass to be heard (and felt!), but seriously, before showing up at rehearsals and gigs with all that running, think about what it does to the band's overall sound. If no one hears anything but you, or the band is so loud it's painful to stay inside the venue with you, they'll go have a smoke and ignore you instead of giving you guys a listen. Just something to think about.

7. metalbob

metalbob Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    Ok how about if I go with the 410 and the 212????:meh:

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just use the 4x10 by itself with the mids boosted and the lows flat so that you cut through the mix onstage so you can hear yourself. That way, all of the muddy lows won't be hogging up stage space, projecting into the audience, and then your soundman can actually do his job and make you sound good out into the room.

If you think you can make your bass sound good out in the audience by running your bass gear onstage, you are sorely mistaken.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    But that won't cause an earthquake! :p Sounds like a good rig to me. My guitarist uses a 412 with my old EV 215 under it, and I can still beat the **** out of him in volume with my Bergantino 610 and 210, both ran by my Mesa 400+.