Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is this Ibanez 6 string worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Kahuna, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey Folks,

I have a guy that is buying some PA equipment from me, and he has an Ibanez bass he would like to offer as partial payment.

Now, I don't need a bass, as I am in the process of building a new one for myself, but I'm willing to take it as partial payment if I can determine what it would actually sell for.

It is an Ibanez SR1306 6 string. The body is a sandwich of Padauk, mahogany, and padauk. The neck is Wenge with two bubinga stringers, and a wenge fingerboard. It has 2 ADX6 p/ups and the vari-mid preamp. It has a "custom made" inlay around the 20th fret, but all of these SR1306 models had that inlay. Lastly, it was originally a fretted instrument, and someone has pulled the frets and filled the fret slots will some type of wood putty or epoxy. It looks to be a very well done job, and the bass plays great.

Lastly, it has a non-original generic SKB case.

My assumption is that it is worth around $400 - $500 max. I've found two basses just like this one on eBay, with 0 bids on either one. One had a starting price of $800 and the other a starting price of $400. Again, 0 bids on either one. If I remember correctly, these basses sold for around $1100 about 10 years ago, right? I remember looking at one at Evans Music City in Houston just before I bought my Carvin LB76.

If I'm going to take it on trade, I want to ensure that I can sell it for the dollar amount of what I've assigned on the trade.

My real inclination is to have him sell it himself and then give me the $$ for the PA stuff.

Thanks!

:^)~

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you do take it in trade, make sure you factor in the hassle of selling it (placing the ad (or auction), answering the ad (or auction), collecting the money, packing and shipping, etc. Considering all that I too would be inclined to have him sell it off first...unless he accepts a really low ball offer...

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Get the money, make him sell it. Those things aren't that great.