Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is this on Ken Smiths bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, May 10, 2004.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
  2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    It's a pickup. I think it's MIDI, but I'm not positive. I'm sure someone else will comment.

:bassist:

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    "This is for a 2003 Ken Smith BSR5-MS with attached GK2b Midi Pickup (not shown)"

Apparently it IS shown.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    it is a Roland pickup module , probably for a V Bass

5. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I guess I should clairify, what does this device do, I am not up to speed on this....thanks!

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
  7. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    It controls the Roland V-Bass system, allowing for various different midi controlled instrument sounds and effects.

8. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    To over-simplify it turns you bass into a synth.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    to over-complicate, the V bass system is not a midi system at all- it is a modeling system- but with the new Roland midi converter, you can use the pickup to achieve true midi- which involves having an additional midi sound module- there is delay in the tracking for midi- zero delay on the V Bass modeling system since there is no midi conversion--

10. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    FWIT, that Mod.was not done by us. I don't know what it is or what alterations that have been done to the Smith Bass.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    There are no mods required for those, Ken.. I think there is a tacky substance on the back of the module that allows it to adhere to the bass' body...

xush has one.. maybe he can pop in here and clarify this.

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    its most likely double sided tape- i certainly wouldnt drill into a bass like that- they supply tape to attach it, and can easily be removed...

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Here's Roland's copy on what the V-bass does:
    http://rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=6&subcatid=0&prodid=V%2DBass

I put some samples on this page, where you'll find some from our esteemed Mr Adrian also:
    http://xush.net/mywebpages/v%20bass/V%20BASS%20PAGE.htm

and this is a clip of my 8-string FBB thru the 1/4 jacks on the V-bass; no modeling, just effects:
    http://xush.net/mywebpages/demos/samples/8delay.mp3

It's a fun unit I haven't had much time to explore (been spending a little more time with the V-drums lately). The Gk2b pickup senses the strings individually and can process them seperately; makes for some neat configurations of effects and modeling.

14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Nice sound clips man! Those are some awexome sounding axes. What were all the tunes you played? I recognized a bunch (at least i htink) but I can only put a name on Roundabout and Love Cats. Anyhoo, Keep on Rockin' in the free world! (Oh yes, corny Neil Young Pun, SCORE!) :hyper:.......sorry.... :ninja:

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thanks for checking them out. I guess I just I just kind of improvised most of them, they're not particularly tuneful- just some vague ideas. Roundabout seemed appropriate for the Ric, and Lovecats for the Upright. I'm not crazy about the Upright tone I get, I think Adrian has tweaked a better one. I thought I had some snippets of a couple RUsh tunes, but I guess those were samples for other basses on my site, not the V.

Here's the V-bass with distortion on the 8-string.
    http://xush.net/mywebpages/demos/samples/pssvdstr.mp3

My clips are all pretty much straight V-bass. You can dial in a mix of your dry bass signal though, I think most people use it that way so you have a mix of both. I believe that's what Adrian said he used to do with his.

Primus fan, I take it?

16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    That sure is some pretty heavy raunchy distortion. sound pretty good though. And yeah, I'm a Primus fan, how'd ya guess? Planet X is my fave. band though:p As for that thing on the Smith bass, at first I thought it was a lazer....oh boy, me so silly... ... ... :ninja:

peace