Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is this pedulla?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AnTz0r, Feb 9, 2004.

1. What is this and what would it be worth? What would it characteristics be soundwise?
    Serial = 0245, cant figure out with pedulla site, it would have to be pre-eigthies?

[​IMG]

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Solid paint suggests a Series II. But the 22-fret neck throws me.

3. i overlooked the title of the Ad.

it is a pedulla MVP series II indeed. nice one christopher,

what do you think of those, soundwise and playability considered? what would they be worth?

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    That's a "Series II", a MIJ bolt-on manufactured from 1988-1991. According to Pedulla that would be a 1990 model.

5. I saw one go on ebay a couple of years ago for $355. Since then I've seen maybe two others, I'm thinking in the $500 range. Email Pedulla, they have been real helpful with my questions.

BT

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's Pedulla's "Burner", made in Japan in the 80 - early 90s under license. Dunno if it shares the same Bartolini PJ electronics as the US models, but the Pedullas I've tried that do have that setup are very bright and stringy sounding. That can be dialed down of course.

Par value somewhere around $600 - 700 for one in excellent condition. As for playability, I'm one of those people who doesn't like the V-profile of Pedulla necks in general.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I would email Christine at Pedulla, or talk to the seller. If it's a bolt neck, it's a Series II; but if it's neck through, it could be a very early Pedulla.

I had number EMS 0317. At that time there were two basic models, the EMS and the (I think) EM<something else>. Mine was basically the same as the later MVP, except for it has less body rounding, had pickup frames, and different woods. But by the time of mine, the body shape had already become the classic MVP shape, unlike the bass you are looking at.

Mine had both "EMS" and "0317" stamped on the back of the headstock.

Anybody have a pic of a known Series II, to compare body shapes?

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    We've got this one in the studio:

9. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yes, that does look like the one antzor is asking about.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    All I can really say about that one is that the model seems to be warmer than the MPG/buzz versions I've played. More of a bolt-on response, and a little less sheen than the neck-thru's.

You can hear it in action here:
    lilith mp3 excerpt

or see it while you listen here:
    lilith video

11. xush, is yours made in japan too?

edit: i watched your vid, nice song, great bass playing!

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I might be worng, but I think only Ken Smith had an import series called "burner".

$355 sounds like a great deal for a Pedulla, even an MIJ.

13. will it sound good for metal?

14. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That's a great video Xush -- I really enjoyed it. Nice bass/bass playing as well...I've always dug Pedullas.

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thanks for checking it out guys. That's Tony, our bassist. I'm quite content to drum in this band as Tony can pluck circles around me!

Not sure if it's Japanese or not, I'll try to remember to check when I'm at the studio tonight.

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You're right. I was just drawing a comparison.

17. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Does Pedulla even make stuff like the Burner anymore? That thing looks like it would be much cheaper than any of their new basses.

18. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The Series IIs were designed to be a cheaper line. But as far as I know they were still handmade in the US. They used cheaper methods (e.g. bolt-on neck) and perhaps materials, and the ones I remember were all painted, so they didn't need visually grade AAA wood.

Kind of like Dingwall's Afterburners.

I think they were about the same time period as the Smith Burners, and maybe the first Distillate "cheap" Alembics. Funny how both products were discontinued after a few years because the market didn't demand them. I wonder whether they could both do better today.

I think the current least expensive Pedulla is the single-pickup Rapture, but it's not as mid-line as the Series II was.