1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this? Says its a Fender, but I dont know...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Kneisel, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
  2. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    it could be fender doing a run to test if they can grab more of the ibanez demographic. did the ad say what year that bass was made?

3. Sort of looks like a Fender sticker just placed on a generic bass.

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yes, I seriously doubt someone would actually put a logo quite that large on a headstock...looks like it's hanging off the edge.
    Well, someone who didn't have a proper sized decal, that is.

smogg likes this.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well it's 'all wood' so that's rare.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That looks like the headstock on those Squiers with the skull and crossbones, or whatever it is. But I've never seen that body shape. Not a Fender, methinks.

Aqualung60 and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    When did they start making basses out of wood? That's got to be hard to find.

8. Don't think Fender would have placed the jack in that location.

smogg likes this.
  9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    It's a Fender MB5, made in Japan.

10. D_Bag

D_Bag

Feb 8, 2013
    Lawrence, KS
    Looks like the same neck/headstock as the Fender MB5. I don't know about the body though.

howlin likes this.
  11. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    MB5 MIJ, refinished body. the stratocaster style output jack is not original.

12. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    As Gorn said, the squire skull bass has a similar headstock, but I have never seen a 5 string one. This has a very short horn, looks nothing like a fender.

13. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    7902260MB-5__90s.
    3764677MB-5_hs.

14. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Looks like these sell for about $350 in "original" condition (i.e. without the paint stripped off and input jack changed). I guess it's worth trying it out at least, can't hurt to go and play the thing.

15. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Nope, Squire MB4/5's had different headstock.

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  16. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    [​IMG]

RBrownBass likes this.
  17. Looks "similar" to me.

Bugeyed Earl and MattZilla like this.
  18. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    ^^^^ This! It's a MIJ Fender MB-5 that's been stripped and stained, and the output jack has been replaced with a Strat jack for some reason. They only came in black, white, red and sunburst. I've had the same sunburst MB-5 for over 20 years. Great bass if you can find one with a stable neck, and you gut the electronics and put something nice in there. You can find an unmolested one at Guitar Center a lot of times for between $200 - $300. They aren't worth $500. Especially in that condition. They were only $350 new in 1994.

GuilhermeBMotta likes this.
  19. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Actually looks like they just stripped and modded the input jack. For sure the neck real...body is in question. Friend of mine had one.
    my 1-1/2 cents

Edit: Lownote38 beat me to it!

Lownote38 likes this.
  20. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    It's the right body shape. Even the bridge is right. It's just been horribly stained as an attempted refinish. I have no idea why someone would put a Strat jack on it either. It looks really bad, and basically ruined the original design!

murphy likes this.