1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this speaker: r40 s1430 ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMHelm, Dec 4, 2018.

1. AMHelm

AMHelm

Dec 4, 2018
    Anyone know what this speaker is? I bought a used Fender Rumble 40, and the speaker inside has no label or markings of any kind, except for this stamped in black ink on the back of the magnet:

R40
    S1430

Anyone know what I have here?

image.

2. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
  3. AMHelm

AMHelm

Dec 4, 2018
    So you’re saying what maybe should have been obvious: “R40” = Rumble 40?

Every other “Fender Special Design” speaker I’ve seen was labeled as such, and the replacement ones they sell don’t look like this, so I guess my brain never considered that.

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I have a Fender Rumble 40 OEM speaker I swapped for an Eminence Basslite. It's in a box on a shelf in the garage and the next time I'm down there I'll take a look and compare it to yours. Can you also post a pic of the front of the cone? I remember the Rumble OEM speaker had a kind of carbon fiber look, but I'll check that also when I look at the speaker. Finally, what's it weigh? I was surprised that the OEM speaker only weighed a little more than the Basslite (I think it was under 5 pounds). Peace, Bob

5. AMHelm

AMHelm

Dec 4, 2018
    It is light. Only 3.75 pounds according to my kitchen scale. The front of the cone looks pretty basic. All black.

image.

6. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    That's the OEM speaker. There are forum threads about swapping out the speaker, usually for an Eminence Basslite. Changing the port tuning is required as well but it's all explained in the threads, and the improvement in tone is worth it. Peace, Bob

AstroSonic likes this.
  7. AMHelm

AMHelm

Dec 4, 2018
    Ah, ok then. I wasn't sure. It definitely looks like an OEM speaker from something, but I wasn't sure if it was original to the amp or if the previous owner had stuck some other random OEM speaker from something else in there. Strange there's no markings of branding or anything.

I have seen the threads about upgrading to the Basslite and the port mods and such. Will be trying that in the future.

Thanks for the help!