1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is this stuff?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lowner, Jan 12, 2006.

  1. Lowner


    May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    everyone talks about using denatured alcohol on your strings.well what is it? It it the same as rubbing alcohol??
  2. BurningSkies

    BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

    Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY


    Denatured alcohol is sometimes called mentholated alcohol or mentholated spirits. In the us you can usually find it in a hardware store in the paint and solvents area. Rubbing alcohol tends to have a much lower alcohol content and a much higher H2O content.
  3. but rubbing alcohol is still denatured alcohol, just a lower concentration of it.