1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this technique called?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassNoobSuomi, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Vic is using it at around 11:17 in this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CIhB0en4g

I've been using a similar technique at times myself, but would really like to know what it's called. I know Norwood from fishbone also does it.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You mean when he is percussively slapping his hand against the strings? I do not think that has a name beyond slap.

3. Yeah, But it's that particular type of slapping that he's doing. Spreads out his hand and rotates the wrist. Using his fingers to slap the strings instead of popping with them.

Heck, i'll just call it "pivot slapping" from now on.

4. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    I'd call it a 'muted slap' myself.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm going to call it a "rolling thump." Don't care what he calls it...I've been doing it since the 70's ;)

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It's not "muted"...

Victor, too (I assume).
    IIRC, Chuck Rainey mentioned this technique in his '70s-era Guitar Player Woodshed column.

7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    norwood fisher calls it "hang loose" (@5:59)

i've seen robert trujillo use this approach as well.