1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this UBO (unknown bass object)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beauregard, May 11, 2010.

1. Beauregard

Beauregard

May 11, 2010
    SC
    bass.

I bought this bass at a pawn shop. They couldn't give me any information on it. It has no markings. I'd like to get the specs on it, but first I need to identify it. Otherwise, I guess it's a custom?

Does it look like anything commercially availible?

2. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
  3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Possibly one of the Brice/Douglas/Chinese Knock Off family.

4. probably some knock off , looks like a dean and a parker mixed together.

5. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    It definitely looks like an Ibanez Ergodyne, but with enough differences to make me think it's just a copy of that design. The knobs are inset like the Ibanez, the bridge is a different design and is also further towards the neck (the Ibanez looks to be pushed towards the edge of the bass more). The jack isn't mounted on the face of the body by the bridge either, and the bottom cutout doesn't go under the g-string. And of course, it would say Ibanez on the headstock, and you would quite likely notice that. Best guess is to agree with DeanT and A-Step-Towards in saying it's a knock-off of some variety. Hopefully it plays and sounds good, cause that's all that matters really.

6. Just out of curiosity, what did you end up paying for it? (If you don't mind my asking)

7. Beauregard

Beauregard

May 11, 2010
    SC
    Funky:

I don't mind at all; $150

8. Beauregard

Beauregard

May 11, 2010
    SC
    Knigel:

I looked up EDB705 images and I think that is exactly the design they were going for. I have to agree with everybody that it's some sort of knockoff due to the knobs the jack, etc.

9. Beauregard

Beauregard

May 11, 2010
    SC
    Thanks a lot guys! That was driving me crazy not knowing what to call this thing.

It is a lot of fun to play. I play guitar. I got this for my kids to play with... you know a home grown back up band kind of thing. They love it. They drag it around everywhere (it's bigger than them).

But now I like playing it... there's gonna be a fight I guess.

Sounds great amplified.

I'm working on getting the action set up now. I put on lighter strings and now I may need to adjust the truss rod.

The setup stuff I can find in the FAQ or online pretty easy. I can do lot of research myself. But figuring out what kind of bass it was with no model numbers or anything to search under... that had me stuck. I really appreciate your input on this guys! Thanks a ton!

10. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    I thought it might be in the EDB family, just not a model I was aware of. Of course, if it doesn't say Ibanez on the head, probably it's a knock off.

11. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    There is a guy on the Houston craigslist that has tried selling one of these copies. He also has copies of violin basses, Ritters, Stingrays, etc etc. Total crap.