1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is this? (Warwick content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El Spearo, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Micro tones? I think that's what they're called, it's been a while. Too atonal for me.

2. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Quarter-tones? I don't get it...

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    There's a video on that page of the bass with music by the guy who had it made. Sounds like it's a microtone/bonus-tone intonation system thing.

4. Microtones would be correct. Not so common place in North America, but many other countries and cultures utilize those notes in their music.

5. There's some music out there that actually uses pitches that are in between what we consider in tune notes. Think of a fretless bass slide or bending a string. The tone doesn't hop from one pitch to the next.

Compare vocals with hard autotune(fretted) to fretless basses(natural pitch changes) just because E and F are a half step apart doesn't mean pitches absolutely have to be divide into Half steps.

That said i don't have much use for it, if i want to play a little flat on fretless i play a little flat. i dont need an extra line to show me where to put my finger.

It's a cool idea IMO. Something different while most companies keep regurgitating the same 40 year old designs.

6. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I noticed the side dots are normal. Would be fun to play and confuse watching bass players.

7. It was made for Jack Bruce - because since 30 years he can't hit the correct frets anymore. So he started playing fretless. And now they added some fretlines to make it look like purpose, if he has intonation fails. Plus his signature ampsound with too much bass level in it you can't hear anymore, that he is an aweful bass player...
    ;-)

8. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    um, aroo? is joke, yes?

9. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Thanks all for the replies. It does make sense in a way, but I think I'd prefer an unlined fretless if I wanted to play microtones. I probably am anyway since my intonation is still not the greatest! :)

10. Heck i think fret lines are the best thing ever. I play significantly better with lines than without lines. I think if i would have started on unlined fretless i would haven given up on it and concentrated on fretted bass

11. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Western chromatic scale is 12 notes. Asian cultures have different numbers of intervals- for instance, indian classical music has a 17 note chromatic scale- imagine five extra notes between C and C!