1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what is this wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Feb 17, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    my woodshop techers say lignum Vitae AKA ironwood, but i can not find a pic that matches it.

2. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    more

3. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    this is just a sample slice

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Is it tremendously heavy, and waxy feeling?

5. looks like Lignum to me.....but im still pretty n00b about wood types

this is also lignum image?id=65271&rendTypeId=4.

6. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    waxy yes, heavy. do not know. still getting familiar with my wood. has this odd smell

7. Wood Ascention

Wood Ascention

Nov 7, 2004
    Don't think its lignum. My guess is cocobolo from the looks of the sap wood.

8. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

A big slab pf that would make a nice looking bass! if it's Lignum the bass would weigh 20lbs +-

9. Don't know if it's just the color balance in the photo, but lignum is not that red. It's more of a neutral medium brown, with a creamy sapwood. Lignum has kind of a sweet smell. Here's a photo of mine:
    029fingerboard.

If you start sneezing and coughing when you cut it,like if you snorted cayenne powder, it's probably cocobolo.

10. Hell, looks very stiff

11. Throw it in the bathtub (fill with water first :))...if it sinks it's lignum. If it floats, its probably cocobolo.

12. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    it has the smell of flesly cut wood all the time. i have found good sized peices of it. enough to make a laminate top. the wood in the back room is not in clean planks, but the top and bottom have been leveled. the red and green are all heart wood, and the sap it visible on all slices, the peices i have run the width of the tree. might just make a full laminate top for the bass i am bulding. if not, i will use quilted maple wings and purpleheart center

13. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    oh, and it is hard. it was flatened by machines, and it is nowhere near smooth!. alot of sanding. lol. it took it to a metal grinder, so take off some sape wood, and the grinder wheel is now useless

14. gyancey

gyancey Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Looks like desert ironwood, which is a different species from lignum vitae. I used it for a nut once and it is a tool destroyer.

15. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    lol. i think i would need to use all carbide tools. i would have to sit playing it, and it would be unbeliveably bright sounding. way past hard maple bright. good for an eye catching laminate

16. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    it sunk

17. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    lol yea it fryed my metal wheel grinder on just the sap wood. i will look up this type. thanx

18. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    for those of u wondering how accurate the pics are, the peice looks like dark olive green and brownish marron in a firery patter together