What is this?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Im just getting into other techniques besides fingerstyle an was wondering how you play something like this:

Any help is greatly apreciated.
  2. "Double Stop" a term to describe two notes played at once at once on bass. If you don't use a pick, and it sounds like you don't, you can either A. Pluck upwards across both strings like normally, but with an additional string, or B. Flamenco style across them I use both of these methods. I will let someone else elaborate and add their techniques for this.
  3. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    I usually use my thumb for double stops... though I've been experimenting with a strumming/Les Claypool kind of thing lately.
  4. I use thumb and first finger for double stops, but that is if there is only a few double stops in a song, that looks pretty fast (cant tell rythmn on tab) so i would use my fingernail just like a pick to do that.
  5. walewein

Jun 13, 2003
    i use my index and middle finger for double stops...
  6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    There are mant different ways to do double stops. Try to find what works best for you. You can pop them, slap them, strum them, or finger them.

When I pop them, I use my index and middle finger.
    When I slap them, I'll use my thumb.
    When I finger them, I'll use my index and middle, or index and thumb.

It's tough to answer this question. It all depends on what you're playing.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When i play double stops i stroke down across them with my hand as if i had a pick, except i use the back of my fingernails. It is also how i play chords.
  8. I saw that on the Longview by Green Day tab and was puzzled. So let me get this straight, I dont use a pick, so I would just pluck both strings at the same time? Im still kind of confused.
  9. You can do whatever you want with them. Basically, they both have to be hit at the same time. Play them as you would normal notes. How you wanna play them is up to you, again, you can pluck/strum them like guitar chords, or you can pluck them with your fingers. The way I would do it is have my right hands middle finger hit the G string and index finger hit the D string. I can't explain too well. Either way, what's important is that both notes are played simultaneously like a chord. Play it in a way that you feel comfortable.
  10. Thanks I understand. I do it the same way you do it jenderfazz. Thanks everyone!