Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SciFiGuy, Mar 29, 2004.

1. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    So sometime circa 1986-88, I bought what I thought was a short scale bass from a pawnshop. I immediately took it home and stripped off the sunburst and painted it fluorescent green, and painted the neck black. (It was the 80s and I was a teenager, what can I say?). I never liked it because of the short scale and the strings being so floppy. I've kept it around all these years, mostly in pieces. And I apparently got tired of the green and stripped it again. Well, I dragged it out and took a look at it, and I want you guys to tell me what it is. First of all, the scale length is about 24.75", which if I'm not mistaken is guitar length. I've realized part of the reason the strings are floppy is because I put bass strings on it, and it probably needs special strings (again I plead serious ignorance). The tuning machines are also small with about a 1/2" diameter. The shape looks like an Epiphone, but I know it isn't. I decided to sand the headstock carefully and turned up the brand "Lyle". Did some searching on Lyle basses and turned up Arai-Matsumoku. They made the Lyle stuff. I found a picture of an Aria bass that looks a lot like my Lyle, but with a 30.5” scale (the 1931, 1980 and 1910 models). http://www.therathole.org/guitars/models/aria/solid/sg/19xx.html So is this thing a baritone, or what? I'm assuming I've destroyed any value it may have had, so I'm going to use some parts in a Frankenbass, but I wanted to show it to the TBers first.

2. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN

3. SciFiGuy

SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    It’s hard to see in the pictures, but the bridge is adjusted up and down by turning the larger knob – the posts are threaded. The saddles are on another threaded rod, and can be adjusted side to side.